6

The further she followed Robin and his men into the forest, the more Odette wondered whether she was making a mistake

The further she followed Robin and his men into the forest, the more Odette wondered whether she was making a mistake. So far, the three seemed like good men, but as Robin had mentioned, there were more where they were going. Strangers and people she hadn't yet had a chance to make a decision about.

The uncertainty in her mind made her trail them from further behind. With the three ahead, consumed with conversation on how to prepare the food they'd found, she'd have a short second to make her evaluation when they reached the camp. If it seemed like too big of a risk, if anything made her suspect Robin had lied to get her there, she'd turn back and run.

She only hoped she'd get the chance to do so. It didn't go unnoticed by Odette the way that the leader of the Merry Men frequently turned his head, just a little, glancing back at her from the corner of his eye. It made her even more wary considering she had no way of knowing that Robin wasn't doing it with malice. He was simply checking whether she was still with them or if she'd disappeared, having noticed the lack of trust.

"Papa!" A child's voice suddenly resonated through the air. Odette's eyes moved away from Robin's figure and to the front of their group, noticing that just a little further ahead, a fire had already been lit as some of the Merry Men worked on putting up their tents in the secluded area of the forest.

A small boy, no older than five, ran towards the group of four, a large smile lighting up his face while his hair jumped up and down across his forehead as he ran into his father's arms. Something Robin was more than ready for, scooping him up as if he were flying through the air before he finally came to rest against his father's chest, arms wrapping around Robin's neck. The soft scene eased Odette's worries just a bit. Nobody would do something terrible or cruel in front of such a young child, would they?

"Who's this?" The reaction of Robin's son alerted the rest of the Merry Men to the return of their hunting party. And as some reunited, happily observing the catch of the day presented by Little John, it wasn't long before they noticed the presence of a stranger among them.

"This is Iris, we met in the forest." Robin spoke up quickly, the smile remaining on her face as he turned back to motion the blonde forwards so he could make proper introductions. "Iris, these are the rest of my Merry Men: Arthur, Gilbert, Reynold and Much. And this is my son, Roland." Robin introduced the group standing before them. Odette put in the effort of memorising the faces and names which accompanied them as Robin spoke.

Odette sent each man a small smile, but remained silent until they got to the end. She had reason to be wary of the men, but Odette couldn't find reason to be reserved with Roland. Not as he looked her way and sent her a small wave, his eyes curiously taking her in. Her smile widened just a bit as she waved back at him.

"Welcome to our camp, Iris. Come, join us." Much who seemed to be the youngest among the men, after Roland of course, said with a smile. He saw no issue with her presence there once Robin explained it. None of them seemed to. They trusted their leader, Odette realized. And if Robin felt certain in her joining them, they saw no reason to question it.