15

Ever since coming back to the Kingdom, Odette had been staying with Snow and Charming

Ever since coming back to the Kingdom, Odette had been staying with Snow and Charming. It was odd to think that this used to be the palace of King George. A place she had once sworn never to come back to and yet, now, she considered it as close as she could get to having a home.

Even though she'd never say it out loud to anyone in the castle, there were days when Odette regretted coming back. Because while she'd been lonely out there on her own, jumping from village to village, in some ways, being here could be even lonelier. Because while surrounded by people, during the days, Odette felt like she was on the outside looking in.

It wasn't like when she stayed with the Merry Men who'd all included Odette and communicated with her even when she couldn't properly be a part of the conversation. Here, many didn't know how to. David understood her most of the time, and Snow tried to, learning as the days went on, but with so many others around, it was easy for Odette to get lost among the fray until night fell.

Both David and Snow had suggested that she keep going, keep travelling and looking for ways to break her curse. Especially after she shared a story about a wizard from another realm, one that could give her any answer she seeked, such as the identity of her true love. However, after her last attempt to do so yielded not answers but only a bean stew for dinner, Odette had chosen to stop tormenting herself with hope. So, she didn't go.

She also didn't want to go anywhere at a time like this. Because while there were times of loneliness, she couldn't just leave with the Queen's threats looming over them. She couldn't leave when Snow's belly grew larger with every day that passed and Emma was bound to be born any day now. She couldn't abandon her friends.

So, she stayed. And waited. Until the day finally came.

Standing on the balcony spreading out from the chambers she had been staying in, Odette looked out into the distance, watching the gleaming lights of the city below them and the darkness which slowly started to spread over the woods that surrounded them. The warm summer breeze nipped at her skin as she watched the dying rays of sun paint the sky in shades of orange, purple and pink.

Everything seemed so peaceful and tranquil, but Odette should have known it wouldn't last forever. Everyone knew the what was coming, they were all ready for it. And yet, as she heard Grumpy's voice call from above, Odette's heart jumped out of her chest.

"The curse! It's here!"

The words made her blood run cold, her eyes scanning the area around her but she couldn't see anything. Even then, Odette knew better than to think Grumpy was wrong. Moving as quickly as she could she rushed back into her chambers.

She spared only a moment to grab the sword, which had been a gift from David, before she rushed through the door and into the halls of the palace. The sound of the warning bells echoed all around her, and as she came up to the windows on the opposite side of the hallway, she saw it.