Chapter 12: Catching Up

It took a few minutes for the team to regain their focus on fun. But they were finally able to get back to their party celebrating the recruitment of the half-human, half-parasaurolophus Paris, the human detective and Emily's partner Owen Spencers, and now apparently the alignment of their police commissioner and Emily's dad, Bryce Brach. Mega the microraptor also seemed to be enjoying hanging out with the team. But whether or not she was betraying the Raptor Generals and joining their rebellion was still up in the air. For now, all they could do was celebrate.

Regrouping back in the main living room, Mega would be preparing the last of the drinks before handing them out to the team. Some of the team members didn't have them as they believed they shouldn't be drinking while under twenty-one. They include Paris, Morgan, and Shane. Members like Blaster and Caren, though, didn't care, and happily indulged in the drinks. Even though she seemed to enjoy herself for a bit, Caren looked out of the deck to see Bryce standing on the porch.

He seemed to be preparing himself before he got ready to speak to Peter, who was standing in the field in the backyard. As Caren stared back at him more, the more she thought about his approach regarding meeting them as dinosaurs. She was even more confused about his background with Terrarium. Something else seemed to confuse her. Tex would walk by her and notice her staring at Bryce.

"Hey, Caren, the party's happening over here. What's up?' He asks before looking up to see her looking at Bryce.

"Uh, sorry, dude. I was just thinking of some stuff regarding the Commissioner" she responds after shaking her head slightly to snap her back into reality.

"Oh yeah, what kind of stuff?" Tex asks.

"Well, I never expected him out of all humans to have a background with Terrarium despite his claims that he went undercover with it. But on top of that, I'm slightly confused as to how he would have Emily during that time, especially when I can't see the resemblance between the two" she explains.

"Resemblance?" Tex asks, confused.

"You know, traits that would have been passed from the parent to the child. Comparing the traits between him and Emily, I can't identify any that match" she clarifies. As Tex thought about what she said, he started to remember his previous conversation with Emily regarding her relationship with her dad.

"Oh, wait, Caren, I forgot to tell you and it might clarify that part a bit" he responds, causing Caren to stare back at him with confusion. Tex looks over at Emily on the other side of the room first. He wanted to make sure she didn't overhear in case she didn't want him talking about her life behind her back. Given Caren's curiosity, Tex had to at least tell her. "Emily told me that she and her dad aren't related" he whispers, to Caren's confusion.

"Wait what? What do you mean they're not related?" She asks, whispering back.

"Emily told me that her father adopted her when she was three and they've been together in Hell Creek ever since then. You see, adoption is this thing where-" Tex explains until Caren waves her hand in front of his snout, silencing him.

"Dude, I've read books regarding formed families and adoptions, I'm not stupid" she replies coldly, to Tex's surprise.