Chapter 22: Battle Royal

Warning

The following chapter contains themes of trauma, LGBT+ romance, sexual implications, physical violence, blood, gore, and gun violence. Viewers be warned. 

The pressure was on. Hundreds of criminal dinosaurs, pterosaurs, and marine reptiles wanted Tex, the T. rex leader of a rebellion group of his own, to do battle with Alton, the Spinosaurus, a carnivorous dinosaur bigger than him and the new self-proclaimed leader of the new dinosaur rebel group the Dinosaur Revolution. All around him, Tex heard the roaring voices from the crowd shout "fight" several times. The only people who weren't doing this were his allies. Owen and Paris hung from the hooks with their hands tied up, and Shane, Blaster, and Revit watched from the crowd above the arena.

"So, what will it be, Tex?" Alton asked, looking down at the kneeled-down Tex. "Are you gonna prove that you have what it takes to be king of the dinosaurs, or would you rather show your team that you're not worthy of anything?"

His words hurt Tex's head. The constant shouting around him and Alton's intimidating pose made him feel so small. It was not an easy feeling. But given the circumstances of the audience, he couldn't escape at this rate. Besides, he was tired of hearing Alton's claims about his rebellion. For the honor of his friends and cause, Tex realized what he needed to do, even if it killed him.

"I think I've had enough of your stubbornness."

Tex slowly stood up, shaking his legs but regaining his confidence long enough to stand before Alton, arms pulled back, chest facing high, and his tail keeping his balance. Before Alton and the room, he announced, "I accept your challenge for a standoff!"

The room roared in shock and glee. They were gonna see the ultimate fight of the eras. Tyrannosaurus Rex vs. Spinosaurus. They all cheered in anticipation that Alton would be the victor, yet Tex's team, from their ends, felt worried about what Tex was getting himself into. Even Bryce, who eyed the scene from the video taken by the hidden camera on Owen's jacket, grew weary of Tex's decision to fight.

"He accepted?!" Owen confusingly questioned.

"No, Tex, please! You do not have to do this!" Paris cried out, hoping to snap Tex back into reality to save him despite being restrained.

Unfortunately, despite hearing her, Tex had no choice but to reject her pleas. He softly turned back to see her and said, "Sorry, Paris, but yes, I do," before walking towards the center of the ring. Alton did the same before the two were face to face.

The rumbling calls from dinosaurs around the room continued. Many wanted blood to spill, while others expected bones to break or shatter. Either way, they wanted someone to get hurt, mainly Tex. Tex and Alton raised their fists into a boxing position and slowly walked in a circle, keeping their eyes locked on each other. Alton stayed chill and ready while Tex was built up with preparedness.

"You think you're tough, big guy? Hm, then show me what you got." Tex grinded his teeth and fired his fist to take the first punch. However, his fist was quickly caught by Alton. Once catching it, Alton lowered his hand and smirked, surprising him with his quick reflexes.

Pulling his hand as he raised his right fist, Alton proudly landed a direct punch to Tex's snout, sending him back a couple of feet. The crowd gasped, with the worried gasping coming from the rebellion. Tex placed his hands on his snout. However, when he removed them, he saw blood staining his left fingers. The punch crushed Tex's nostril, giving him a nosebleed. Blood dripped down to his upper lip.

Tex was shocked at the wound. But when he looked back at Alton, he returned the gesture by moving his left shoulder back, raising his glove-covered hand, and twerking his two fingers back and forth, silently telling Tex to "come at me."