Chapter 19: Falling Apart

Warning 

The following chapter contains themes of illness, inaccurate depictions, aggressive verbal confrontation, heartbreak, unsettling negative emotions, violence, and minor sexual abuse. Viewers be warned.

"Wait what? What did you just say, Mega?!" Asked a very concerned Paris. Mega was still frozen in fear from learning the truth of Emily's current condition.

"I just said your friend Emily has been poisoned by the venom injected by Sinor via her bite from last night! How much clearer do I need to be?!" Mega answered, feeling panicked, yet irritated by the question.

"Mega, please explain it to us. How is it possible for Emily to be poisoned from Sinor's bite?!" Tex questioned. He was slightly impatient and demanded answers, even though he was very worried about Emily. Mega took a step back to explain.

"Well...let's just say Sinor's species is of a rare kind. Sinornithosaurus has special glands in their upper jaws that allow enough space to store venom that can eject once the teeth sink into something. Much like a Gila lizard, this venom was potent enough to strike down prey with one bite and leave it vulnerable for the predator to finish it off. When Sinor bit Emily last night, she bit her long enough to inject her venom into her, leaving her in this vulnerable state!" Mega explained. 

Every word she said was more heartbreak to the team

Every word she said was more heartbreak to the team. Revit, however, became confused.

"But that's...that's impossible. Paleontologists have studied sinornithosaurus fossils for years and analyzed the grooves of their teeth plenty of times and they found no further evidence that sinornithosaurus was venomous. The theory itself was debunked" he explained.

"Well, that's probably because your kind hasn't found a complete fossil reconstruction of a venom gland perfectly intact!" Mega retorted Revit's claim. But she backed up and whispered to herself "However, there aren't a lot of sinornithosaurus back in Orgil who have venom glands like Sinor. She must be a special case."

"Mega, please, just tell us, how serious is Emily suffering from this?!" Tex was desperate for answers. Mega turned back to analyze Emily once more.

"Hm, as far as I know about Sinor, normally the venom would kill a dinosaur in a matter of seconds. However, it seems to be having a much slower reaction on Emily than what I'm normally aware of. My guess is since Sinor's species normally hunted smaller dinosaurs, her venom must have been specifically made for lizards. If that were the case, Emily must be being affected by it at a much slower rate thanks to her mammal metabolism and the fact that she's twice the prey size sinornithosaurus usually hunts. I don't for sure, but she seems to be having a slower reaction to the venom. She's currently at a feverish stage where she's developing hazards affected by the venom's toxic input. This had developed overnight, but this isn't even the worst phase. At this rate, she could survive another night. But uh... unfortunately, with where she is now, it might be only that night. If I had to guess, she only has until tomorrow morning before the venom completes its full injection and it..." she slowed down near the end as she was horrified by the end result.