sixteen

When Levi suggests that we should go back to bed, I don't protest, but the minute I know he's asleep, I get out of bed and take a book, sitting down in the armchair next to the bookshelf.

I'm able to take my mind off of everything for a little while, reading always helped with that.

After some time I hear a loud howl coming from somewhere in the woods, at first I don't think much of it, but when there's a second one, this one much louder, sounding a lot like a cry for help, I start to think that there may be something wrong.

So I put the book aside, walk up to the bed and gently try to shake awake my mates.

"Adrian, wake up, something's happening," I tell him, shaking him more urgently when he doesn't react, doing the same to Levi afterward.

While Levi just groans and hides his face under one of the pillows, Adrian sits up straight almost immediately, although a little dazed.

"What? What's happening?"

Just as I was about to answer, his eyes grow noticeably wider and I'm guessing one of his pack members just mind-linked him.

What makes me freeze however is another howl, one I know by heart by now.

Tristan.

"That was Tristan," I whisper in recognition, standing up straight, my heart-rate picking up noticeably.

"Levi, wake up," Adrian demands, voice stoic, his face growing darker and darker each second.

Before any of time can really do or say anything, I'm bolting out of the room and the house, any calmness I might have felt before having left my body.

I don't even feel pain when I shift into my wolf midair. A few moments later I can feel Adrians and Levi's presence right behind me usually my wolf would be freaking out because of the proximity to his mates in wolf form after such a long time but not now.

Not when something's clearly wrong with Tristan.

My wolf's senses are on overdrive and he can make Tristans scent out in no time, running even faster now that he knows where to.

I don't know how long it takes for me to realize it, but at some point the woods become familiar and I realize that we're nearing the pack borders, right where me and Tristan lived only a few weeks ago.

It's moments like these where I wish I was still part of the pack. While all the others probably know what's going on, I'm still left clueless because I have no way of communicating with anyone in wolf form.

My heart is beating loudly in my ears, and when I smell the all too familiar smell of rogues not far away, my wolf snarls loudly.

The moment I step on the open field, I know there's something terribly wrong when my wound, now maybe scar, starts itching. The one I got from the hunter when they had to get me to the pack doctor because of how bad it was. 

My eyes focus on Tristan immediately and I notice the rogues surrounding him but also some pack members standing at his side, growling at the shared enemy.

And then my eyes catch onto something or rather someone standing at the far end of the field and when I smell the familiar scent I know.

I know it's the hunter that shot me with his stupid poison that burned a fucking hole through my abdomen and I know that this was probably planned and that something's going to happen.

He's standing right at the edge of the forest, two wolves at his side and he's looking right at me.

I don't even know if Adrian or Levi noticed him standing here, but my wolf comes to an abrupt halt and lets out a vicious growl, snapping all the attention to us.

Tristan and I lock eyes and his eyes darken just a little bit, nodding in acknowledgment.

Adrian and Levi come to stand next to me and when I look at them, their eyes are already locked on the Hunter in the woods, who's now smirking directly at me. If I were in my human form, I'd probably get chills.

There's something so unsettling about him, even my wolf wants to cover away, but he stands his ground, just like he always does.

The hunter doesn't say anything for a while, just stares right back at me, ignoring all the growling and snarling wolfs around him.

That's when he slowly lifts his hand up in the air, palm open and that's when I hear them and smell them. People sitting in the trees.

My eyes widen and my stomach drops when I smell the poison in the air as well. The hunter watches my reaction for a second and then closes his hand.

The arrows shoot through the air faster than most wolves can react and everything starts to feel like it's happening in slow motion at that moment. 

Pained howls and whimpers are heard everywhere and the one closest to me is the one that pierces right through my heart.

Levi. Levi was hit.

Adrian is with him in seconds, now in his human form, clutching onto his mate, not caring about how vulnerable he is at the moment.

But that's no problem at all, because as suddenly as they attacked they disappeared.

The hunter is no longer smirking, his iron gaze is fixed on me, giving me a sly leer. Then he's gone, hopping onto the back of the brown wolf standing next to him.

Everything after that just happens in a blur.

I look around the field, at the injured wolfs and I think, that this was just the beginning.

The calm before the storm.

And if this is the calm, then I don't want to know what the storm will look like. Feel like.

really sorry for the long wait, hope I'll be able
to update more frequently from now.
what do you guys think?? how are we liking the story so far??