Chapter 3

A/N - remember I said the age thing would be weird, yeah don't hate me. Also I've been doing research but idk who everyone was in every position in this era. Just roll with it.

Warnings - mentions of physical abuse, mentions of fighting, feeling self-conscious, grey morality

"Hey, Featherfoot," Sirius called out to me. It was the nickname I'd pathetically given to myself, to feel like I was a Marauder. It came from the fact that snow leopards had very fluffy feet, so they didn't slip in the snow. The fur made it look like they had feathers between their toes. The Marauders only used it when they wanted something from me, and Peter had never uttered it a day in his life.

"Yeah," I said holding my bag tightly to myself. I felt self-conscious after the thestral ride. No one had really defended me from Peter. Remus had said something about some jokes going to far, but, as per usual, he didn't say much more. While they'd all assured me many times they loved the gifts, it all felt like pity. I was that little girl again, desperately trying to keep up with their longer legs as they walked away from me to have their own adventures. I'd walk slowly back to the house, to face a slap in the face from my mother for leaving without saying anything.

"I'm sorry about what Peter did, it's probably my fault," he said.

"Why?" I asked.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but I can sometimes take things too far," he said.

"Yeah," I agreed.

"Even if I look pretty while doing it," he said to make me laugh, and I did, of course.

"I gotta teach him he can only go too far on others, not on our own," he said gently, but that didn't sit right with me. Why was it okay for us to have no morals against our enemies? If that tracked, that opened a whole can of worms I didn't want to think about. "I'll talk to him."

"Thanks," I muttered, wishing the conversation was over. He was looking at me like a bullied first year. Me, who had easily deflected Malfoy's book, me, who was Seeker of the Ravenclaw team, me, who nearly top marks in every class, me, who had been the first in our group to manage to do magic without words. Why did they always make me feel this way, why couldn't I be fully in, instead of having one foot in and one foot dangling dangerously into a pit of despair. The worst part was I had no backup options.

"But what I really wanted to talk to you about, is Regulus," he said. At last, I looked at him.

"Why?" I asked.

"From your account, if it happened like you said," he mused and I glared at him, and he held his hands up. "I believe you, but even the most honest person can miss a hidden meaning or social cue that can change things. I mean it just seems like he was really nice to you. Like, out of character nice."

"And?" I asked. I blushed wondering if he was saying Regulus liked me.

"He may be trying to recruit you," he whispered.

"Recruit me for what?" I asked. Sirius made a hissing sound with his mouth, and touched his forearm.

"You don't really think he's a Death Eater do you? I mumbled.

"I wouldn't put it past him, he'd always been a Mama's boy, and Mama would love that," he muttered. "Just be careful okay?"

"I will, thanks Padfoot," I said, touching his arm and moving into the Great Hall. I sat down in a seat next to a girl I'd never seen, but I thought I knew most of the Ravenclaws.

"Hey, I'm Arita," the girl grinned, and held out her hand. This was so backwards, I usually made the first move.

"Hey, I'm y/n Pettigrew. How come I've never seen you here?"

"I'm new!" She said excitedly. She was gorgeous, she had dark brown skin, and a sheet of black hair. She wore gorgeous gold jewelry, which made her brown and jade eyes pop.

"Me and my brothers transferred from Beauxbatons Academy of Magic. Our parents moved for work so we decided to change schools."

"That's cool, how are you at this table, were you sorted in private?"

"Yeah, we got to decide about that. I thought we would look silly with a bunch of first years. I got Rvanclaw."

"How about your brothers?"

"Funnily enough, they both got Slytherin, I didn't expect it," she said, and pointed them out to me. They were near Regulus, who was reading again. I watched as Lucius snatched the book out of his hands. Andromeda was instantly quarreling with him to give it back. However, Regulus had caught me staring. He looked around as if I was looking at someone beside him. He gave me an small wave that made my stomach flip. I gave a small wave back.

"Is that your boyfriend?" She asked excitedly.

"What, him, no, I only just met him on the train," I said, and began to shovel food in my mouth to hide my heating features.

"Oh, you look like you've known each other longer," she shrugged.

"Well, I know his brother really well," I explained.

"That's probably it then," she smiled.

I explained to her about the dynamics of the school and the cool kids and not cool kids while we ate. I told her I was mid tier. I didn't mention that I was only mid tier because of my connection to Peter. If not for him I'd probably be as bothered as Severus Snape was. Then again, maybe my Quidditch skills would bump me up a bit. The problem was, Quidditch popularity went in waves. It was like somehow the whole school picked a favorite position and whoever held that, was insanely popular. Right now, that position was the beaters. Seekers, with the exception of James, were seen are brooding outcasts. I supposed Regulus and I fit the bill.

Afterwards, Arita made me promise to find her before bed, to fill her in further. I agreed and went giddily to McGongall's classroom to be briefed on prefect duties. Id made two potential girl friends today, I was excited.

I'd been hoping to get head girl, but I hadn't managed it. I was pretty sure my ribs still had bruises from when my father realized.

When I went in, there were only three others in the room. I recognized Amelia Bones, another hard working student I sometimes saw in the library, Lily Evans with her pretty smile and long red hair, and Regulus Black, still reading.

"Welcome students," McGonagall trilled.

"Am I in the wrong room?" I asked.

"Ms. Pettigrew my dear girl I am so sorry. My dear Owl, is so old, I've sent him to live on a nice owl retirement farm, and purchased a new one. It seems he misplaced his letter informing you, you've been chosen to be Head Girl for Ravenclaw house."

Mixed emotions roiled in my gut. On one hand I was ecstatic, and on the other I wanted to scream. If that owl had just retired a little bit sooner, I would've missed the beating of a lifetime. I might have even have been able to see my parents smile at me, which was a rare occasion indeed.

"I'm honored professor," I said, bringing a smile to my face.

"Now dear, you and Mr. Black will be permanent partners all year round. I know we usually alternate but there was so much rough housing and dueling between the Slytherin and Gryffindor students, we had to put this in place for safety."

Regulus and I locked eyes. Partners, all year long. Sirius was going to hate this.