Chapter 16

Warnings - mentions of prostitution, faking being dark, mentions of sex and homophobia, dark arts, double crossing, throwing a fit, crying, nervous laughter, angst, pining, mentions of alcohol, flashback

I bounded up to him immediately, not really caring who saw in that moment. He wore a gorgeous silver suit. I wore a pale blue dress that danced in the candle light. We could have been twin icicles. The thought made me giggle.

"Don't tell me you've hit the alcohol already," he smirked, but didn't look up from his journal. The Black Mask was in place, even if it cracked a bit for me.

"No, just excited to see you," I said honestly. It'd been a week since our last rounds, the only place we really got to talk, and before had been a week of barely any speaking.

"Me too, sorry I've been absent, I've been doing reconnaissance, and such," he said.

"What's that mean?" I asked. He slipped my his journal easily, and if he'd been so inclined, I thought he'd probably be a good pick pocket.

I read through his plans for an anti death-eater team as he spoke.

"The week with you was amazing, don't get me wrong, but it made soft. I've been building back up my name as the ancient and noble Black I'm meant to be. I've been avoiding you because it gives away my true feelings."

"My true feelings" the words rang through my ears. How badly I wanted to know what those were.

"Well, you can't let me sit by the wayside Regulus, I want to be apart of this. Plus I've missed you like Hell."

I almost felt like I'd cry. Yes I had Arita, but she was so involved with her brothers, and I darent give away Regulus's secret, so I hadn't told her what we were doing was directly against them. Then there was Andromeda, but she was often with Ted. I'd seen Hagrid a time or two but he wasn't my age. I hadn't talked to any of the Marauders. It was pretty clear visiting me in the hospital wing was just a last kind gesture, we were pretty much over. Regulus was the only one who felt purely mine, not tainted by anything else. I wondered why that was. He was Sirius's brother, Andromeda's cousin, he was well immeshed in a world I hated, full of blood status and dark arts, yet he felt whole and pure, and mine, because I didn't mind any of his baggage or quirks.

"I know," he said, and slipped his hand into mine. My heart went wild. "I've missed you like crazy too, but you've got to understand. I've been getting the side eye from these people. I need them to think they can trust me."

"Oi!" I heard a voice. I dropped Regulus's hand in fear. I was back in that hallway. I felt my body being ripped open. Lucius's hair glowed in the fire light. He stalked to us, in poison green dress robes.

"I thought I said no inter-house mingling," growled the blonde. On his own, without his mad friend, and his stoic, yet greasy, hanger on, he wasn't that fearsome. He was just a pretty boy, and not a pleasant one like Reg.

"I can do as I please," I snarled.

"You don't make the rules here. You better stop bothering Regulus before you skip the hospital wing and head straight for Saint Mungos!"

"You insult or threaten her again, and you'll wish you'd been born without a tongue to form those words," said Regulus darkly, even I shivered.

"We talked about this Black! You need to prove your loyalty. Hanging out with naïve, Gryffindor adoring scum is walking you backward!"

Suddenly, an idea popped into my head. It would save both Regulus and I, but I would probably need to give up completely on the Marauders. Most likely Arita, and maybe Andromeda as well, but it was my only option to save Regulus, who I knew wouldn't stay away now that he had a friend. It wasn't in his DNA, if he knew I needed him, he'd make time for me, so I'd do this for him. Because over the last week I'd realized something. I didn't have a crush on Regulus Black, no, I was in love with him, and I'd do anything for him. I was in love with Regulus Arcturus Black, and I wouldn't, couldn't, do a thing about it, but I could save him here.