Chapter 20: Caution Signs

Adani's POV

My heart raced and the bottle slipped out of my hand, shattering on the floor. Flamboyant and Mavielle recoiled as they looked at me.

I felt like the air was draining from my lungs. Slowly, I stood up and looked around the room.

"Adani, are you alright?" Mavielle asked. She was standing next to me but she felt and sounded so distant.

"I have to leave," I said.

"Why, we just got here," Flamboyant responded.

"We have to leave right now!" I snapped. I made a beeline for the exit and the ladies tailed after me, yelling to get my attention but all I was thinking about was being caught by Wayan.

I reached the exit and burst through the doors. The night air greeted me. I scanned the street. No-one but club-goers and they were busy having a battle with the bouncers.

Flamboyant and Mavielle reached me. We walked over to Flamboyant's vehicle. I gazed as I got into the back seat.

"Flamboyant. Drive please!"

"Adani, what the hell! You caused a scene in there, ran out like a headless chicken and now you're yelling at me and trying to tell me what to do!" she yelled back at me.

"I'll explain later. I need you to drive!"

"I'm not going anywhere, until you tell us what's going on."

"Flamboyant, just drive," Mavielle pleaded. Flamboyant heaved a loud sigh before she started the engine and drove to her apartment.

I was careful getting out, making certain we weren't followed before we went inside.

~

Flamboyant sat at her bar and Mavielle stood close by. As I walked into the room, I felt like I was walking into a court house.

"There's someone after me," I began.

"No shit," Flamboyant said.

"I'm honestly not in the mood to dive into deep details so spare me the discourteous remarks," I said back.

She threw up both her hands to indicate 'surrender'.

"Long story short. I was in an abusive relationship. One day.. or more like one night, I left him and that hasn't sink into his thick skull as yet," I explained.

"Is he dangerous?" Mavielle asked.

"He is," I answered.

"And you let me drive you here, into my house, what the hell, Adani!" Flamboyant said.

"I made sure we weren't being followed."

"Oh really! What you should have done was let me take you back to the mansion which is guarded. Matter of fact, that's where I'm taking you right now. Let's go."

Without another word, Flamboyant snatched her keys and we left. I couldn't blame her for the way she felt. Everyone who intervened in my situation was at a danger, even if they just wanted to be a friend.

I remembered Adonna. I sent her a quick text and she called afterwards.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah. I'm heading to the mansion as we speak."

"Let me know when you get there."

"Will do."

~

We drove in silence. Flamboyant didn't even play a song. At the sight of the jeep at the gates, security checked us and we drove on in.