Chapter 23: Territorial

Ricardo's POV

"That maid of yours just made a scene," my mother said as I watched Miss. Prime scurry away to the entrance.

"I should talk to her," I responded.

"I hope you'll fire her! There's something wrong with that one. She's incompetent, she's rude, she's..."

"Mother, excuse me." I moved away from my mother with Rockett at my tail.

"Maybe I should talk to her first. You should wait in the office," my sister adviced. I obliged and headed to my office to await her there.

~
After some minutes, a knock came. I knew it was her. No one but her when she was allowed in.

I tented my fingers and took her in. Her makeup was now messy and she looked very uncomfortable than relaxed.

"Have a seat, Miss. Prime," I told her.

"Thank you." She sat down and crossed her legs with her arms folded. I watched as her right leg started bouncing lowly up and down.

"First of, let me start by saying that perhaps that wasn't your atmosphere and I shouldn't have expected you to just fall in with the crowd," I spoke.

"I appreciated the invite. Some of the things people were saying were getting to me. My skin isn't thick enough," she responded.

I looked at her beautiful chocolate skin that appeared to be drawing the lights in and causing a shimmer.

"Miss. Prime, how's your session going?"

"Oh, wonderful. She's the best. And she's not the cause of my actions. We just haven't gotten to that point as yet."

"Well I'm not going to ask for details."

"You weren't going to get them," she answered and my eyebrows rose at that, "Sorry.. I didn't mean any disrespect.. I.." she stuttered.

I hold my hands up, silencing her. "Hey, it's fine. I liked what you said."

She smiled at me and I found myself smiling back at her. A comforting silence hung in the air.

"So, are you okay, Miss. Prime?"

"I am. And Happy birthday, Mr. Parriston."

"Thank you."

She got up and stood over my desk. She reached for something in her purse.

Out came the tiniest gift box I've ever seen.

"What's this?" I asked as I took it with a laugh.

"I know it's nothing much but I at least wanted to give you a present. You've opened up your home for me and gave me a job. I didn't know what to get you but I hope you like it."

I opened the box and saw a golden tie-pin with the letters 'R' and 'P' engraved on it.

"Wow. Big things do come in small packages. I've always wanted one of these but it kept slipping my mind until I wear a tie that wouldn't behave itself."

We shared a heartily laugh. "I'll cherish this," I added.

"I hope you do."

Immediately, I attached it to my tie and Miss. Prime lean over my desk and made a better adjustment for me.

"There. Sharp as always."

She drew back but our eyes couldn't shift from each other's. It was like we were hypnotized and captivated in our staring.

"If I've overstepped..." her soft voice spoke up.

"You didn't..." I answered, still transfixed.

"Ricardo.. Are you in..." came Penelope's voice. She sliced right through the atmosphere like a lightning. She came into the office and spotted me and Miss. Prime.