Chapter 40: Over It

Ricardo's POV

"Take all the time you need to get yourself together and heal," Derick advised as he sat across from me in my office.

"Heal, I'm not hurting over anything," I responded.

"You're not, so you didn't even love her a little bit, you didn't even care?"

"She made it difficult. Penelope's main agenda was making me miserable. She was too stubborn and insecure."

"But can you blame her for being insecure, Ricardo, when almost everyone around her was whispering about you and one of your maids?"

I tented my fingers and laid back into my chair as I looked into my own actions. I felt something for Adani Prime and I realized I admire her more than I did Penelope.

"We're better apart than together, that's the bottom line," I spoke up.

"Hey, you know I'll have your back no matter what and we're real with each other, right?"

"I know. Is there a point to your statement, Derick?"

"Are you going to date your maid?"

"Her name is Adani."

"So you do like her?"

"Derick..."

"Ricardo, is that really a good idea, she's an employee. Your employee.. And she's a.." he hesitated to finish.

"She's a what, a black woman?"

"I didn't say that."

"You didn't have to!"

"Look, I'm just trying to look out for you and steer you into the right direction. If you want to date Adani, by all means, go right ahead but prepare for the baggage that's bound to show up sooner or later."

"Trust me, I'm capable to handle any baggage. Penelope was a cargo holder."

Derick laughed aloud. "You had your hands full with her alright."

My cellphone rang and my sister's name flashed across the screen. "Hey Rockett, what's up?" I answered.
Derick edged himself closer, eyes expanding and ears tuning into my end of the conversation until I ended the call.

"Damn, Derick, do you want me to call her back?" I asked him.

"Nah, I'm good."

"No you're not. You still have a thing for my sister."

"I still miss her!"

"You're engaged to Eloise who is just as vicious as Penelope. No offense."

"Man, I don't know what I was thinking when I proposed to her. I thought that would make Rockett mad and want me back but it only pushed her further away."

"Clearly you don't know anything about Rockett! And this is coming from the guy who wants to steer me in the right direction."

"Help me out here, you're her big brother. How do I get her back?"

"I'm not going to get into the middle of that one."

"Man, Rockett is so beautiful. Just the way she carries herself is priceless. The way she walks, talks and smiles always made me twitch."

"You do realize you're talking about my sister!" I scolded.

"Oh. Sorry."

"Get over it."

I stood, took my jacket and we left for lunch.

~

The company's annual Autumn Gala was approaching faster than I anticipated. It was less than two weeks away. As I sat in the back of my car and allowed my bodyguard to drive, I retrieved my tablet and started browsing online retailers for a new suit.