Chapter 33: Exhale To Inhale

Ricardo's POV

With great hesitation, I went up the stairs. I knew who and what awaited me in my bedroom and I wasn't looking forward to another argument with Penelope.

Reaching my room, I pushed in the door and entered. She was laying on the bed, reading a magazine quietly. She looked up from the page as I stepped deeper into the room.

"Is she upset with you about what I said?" she asked, flipping one of the pages.

"What did you really want to accomplish down there?" I asked her, "On second thought, don't even answer that question. I'm exhausted and I don't want to get into it again with you."

"Ricardo, you can be so crass at times. You need to get over yourself."

I exhaled loudly. I've been doing that alot lately and ever since our paths crossed again.

"I can see that I'm annoying you and lately, you've been pushing away everyone close to you. And for what?" She got up from the bed, "I'll be occupying a guest bedroom until you come to your senses!"

She walked out of the room, slamming the door on her way out.

Adani's POV

Although he wasn't holding me anymore, I felt his arms and his hands trailing me still. I couldn't shake the jubilant feeling as I walked back into my bedroom and locked the door behind me.

"Oh my goodness. I can't believe I made-out with Mr. Parriston," I told myself as I threw my body face-down to the bed where a comforting sleep welcomed me shortly after.

~

Taking time to myself, I tried my all to avoid running into Mr. Parriston on the following days.

On Tuesday, we were heading in the same direction to the entrance but I caught wind of him first and slipped into one of the living room area until he passed by.

On Wednesday, I avoided him at breakfast in the kitchen.

But it all ended on Thursday when I was called into his home office.

"Miss. Prime, please have a seat," he said.

"Thank you. And I think we've outgrown  the formalities. Please call me Adani. Save the 'Miss. Prime' for my mother" I said as I sat down across from him.

"I'll be meeting her?"

I flushed.

"I couldn't help but notice you've been avoiding me. Look, if I've made you uncomfortable, I sincerely apologize."

"You haven't, but I thought it would be best to put some distance between us out of respect for your relationship."

"I see."

" Mr. Parriston, I.."

"Call me Ricardo when we're alone," he said with a smirk.

"Okay. Ricardo. I know what it feels like to be a woman scorned and I don't want to be the cause of this happening to your fianceé."

"Mmm. Anyways, that's not the reason I've called you. As you know, Mavielle is still recuperating. In the meantime, I've hired someone else to take her place. I want you to provide her with a tour and show her what is required. She's only temporary. I've decided you and Mavielle are all this mansion needs."

"Okay. I'll do that."

"Expect her in the morning."

"Would that be all?"

His eyes twinkled and a mischievous smile spread across his lips. He bit the bottom of his lip as he locked his eyes on me as I stood up from the seat.