Chapter 64: Different Directions

Adani's POV

I moved out of the mansion.

Ricardo insisted I take his beach house which was only approximately fifty miles away and I agreed.

"You're still engaged?" Adonna asked as she assisted with carrying a suitcase into the house.

"We are," I answered as I looked at the engagement ring on my finger. It dazzled in the afternoon sun.

"This beach house is beautiful. I can't believe you'll be living here," Adonna spoke again as we unlocked the door and stepped into the room.

The high ceiling held a crystal chandelier directly in the middle. Natural light shined through the ceiling-to-floor windows. The furnitures were unused and luxury and the roaring of the ocean was insanely welcoming.

I slide the glass door opened and stepped into the back yard. The lawn was well-kept and the pool was clean.

"I envy you right now," Adonna said as she found me outside.

"My life isn't going as planned, Adonna. What is there to envy?" I questioned still feeling the effects of being heartbroken.

"Adani, what I'm not understanding is the fact that you both love each other, you're still his fianceé but yet you two are separated." There was confusion on her face.

I sighed and we sat down by the pool.

"I need a break, Adonna."

"From Ricardo, is the dick too much?"

"Not everything is about the sex," I responded and playfully wet her with some water.

"You've lost me. You had or have everything a woman could possibly want, especially in a man, and instead of holding onto him and everything he has to offer you, you're tossing him away."

"You might view it like that but it's not all peaches and cream."

"Sis, what's life without some baggage? Nobody comes with a clean slate. Running away from an issue isn't going to fix it."

"I don't need another therapy class session right now, Adonna. I called you here so you can help me unpack and unwind," I snapped at her.

"I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life and what choices you should be making but I know what it's like to miss out on a good man because you're still reflecting from the last one."

"Wait. Hold on, let's get this clear. I'm not reflecting on Wayan."

"You're not, so then what's the problem?"

"You wouldn't understand."

"I'm your sister. I wouldn't understand because you don't understand it yourself. You're filled with confusion and doubts, and you're scared. It's written all over your face but I'll respect you not being open about it. When you're ready to talk, I'll be there. Okay?"

"Okay."

"Good. Let's see get you settled in."

~

We went back indoors and finished the unpacking before going to the supermarket for food supplies. The house held all the necessities and appliances for a comfortable stay there and what was most commendable about it was the fully powered solar and security system.

"It would feel strange being in the house by myself. I've never actually lived by myself before," I spoke to Adonna as we drove back towards the house from the shopping.

"Really, never?"

"No. After college, Wayan and I moved in immediately together. Biggest mistake of my life."