Chapter 41: Gala Storm

Ricardo's POV

I turned the mic off and turned to Penelope.

"What are you doing here, Penelope?"

"I believe I've already answered your question and you're starting to make a scene," she answered with an evil smirk. We looked to the crowd and everyone's full attention was on us, "I told you, this is war," she added then took the award and mic from my hold.

She turned to the crowd, turned the mic on and started a speech. "Oh, wow. I'm honored to be here this evening and to be accepting this well deserved award. I started at PIT just some weeks ago but climbed the ladder very quickly and professionally. And I want to point out that being the fianceé of the CEO didn't earn me this award. I worked for it. Thank you and have a lovely evening," she stated.

The crowd clapped dryly and we exited the stage.

Immediately, I went to find the company's event director and organiser who had a frightening expression on her face when I located her behind one of the curtains.

"Janny, I need an explanation right now! Penelope Vant's name shouldn't have been in that envelope! And who the hell extended an invitation to her anyways?!" I asked with a shout.

"Sir, I take full responsibility and I'm sorry."

"And I'm at a stage of pique with hearing the word 'sorry'. I want answers, Janny, what happened?"

"Miss Vant threatened to have my job if I didn't do as she instructed. The Most Outstanding Employee was your assistant but Miss Vant had it changed to herself. I then gave the envelope to the emcee and he gave it to you for the announcement," she explained.

My blood boiled with rage. Penelope was set on making my life miserable and embarrassing.

~
After the award category, the floor was cleared from the tables and chairs and the upbeat music started and everyone started their grooving.

I went to find my date. Penelope was nowhere in sight and I was hoping she had left the building.

"Hi," I greeted Adani when I found her sipping on a flute of champagne.

"Hi," she responded.

"You saw what happened?" I questioned.

"I did."

"She's set on ruining my life. That award wasn't hers to take. She didn't deserve it. And I didn't want to make a scene in front of everybody. The last thing I need right now is being a spectacle," I released.

"It's just an award that wouldn't benefit her. Actually, if you ask me, it would torture her because everytime she looks at it, she would know she didn't deserve it and it wasn't meant for her," Adani spoke with greatness and made me feel lighter.

"You're right."

She responded with her luminous smile.

"You can continue to mingle at your event. I'll be fine up here," she said again.

"Nope." I extended my hand to her. She looked up with wide eyes, took my hand and stood, "You're coming with me. I'm not going to hide you up here like a secret."

"Are you sure that's wise, people would talk even worse than what happened at your birthday party. I'm your maid."

"You're my date." I linked my arm with hers once again and we left the VIP area and made our entrance onto the dance floor.

Eyes landed on us and Adani glanced around with intimidation.

"Hey, look at me," I said in a whisper and gently shifted her face to my direction, "Just look at me, okay?"