Chapter 48: Without A Doubt

Adani's POV

"We need to talk," Ricardo said as he laid his eyes on me when I got into his car from my evening class.

"What's wrong?" I asked. I paid attention to his tone of voice and neutral expression on his face.

"Your ex, if I should call him that, showed up at my office today," he responded. He started the engine and turned on the air conditioning while we were in the parking lot.

"What do you mean by if you should call him that, of course you should call him that. We're no longer in a relationship."

"Well he made it seem like you're accustom doing this. Leaving him and going back to him."

"I can't believe this."

"Have you done that before, Adani?"

"No.. Yes.. but," I stumbled on my words.

"Which one is it really, because I don't need any more surprises," Ricardo said. He had never spoke to me in such a serious tone of voice. I took a deep breath and chose my words very carefully.

"Ricardo, Wayan and I are through. I left before but that was to my mother's house.  I didn't start another relationship, nor did I met anyone else. He soon found me at my mother's and he dragged me out of her house while my mom tried to wrestle him but he wasn't going to let her win."

"Why isn't this dude locked up?"

"He knows people. He has his connections within the police departments, and he has his money too. I lost count of my many times I called the police and filed reports. The most they'll do is arrest him and within hours, he's a free man. He would laugh in my face after his release and every hitting became worse after reporting him. Eventually, I gave up reporting the situation," I explained.

Ricardo's hands gripped the steering wheel.

"Ricardo, are we going to be okay?" I asked.

"I should have punch him in the face."

"No. He came to your office to provoke you and have you riled up. You would have played right into his trap had you done that."

"My money is long too, Adani."

"Wayan is going to get his karma. And karma shows up when you least expect it."

"He better stay away from us. Let's go home."

~
"WHAT THE! I can't catch a fucking break today?" Ricardo yelled as he pulled the car onto the driveway to the mansion.

At the entrance of the doors stood his mother and Penelope. All smiles.

Ricardo got out of the car and headed towards them. I ran after him to catch up.

"Mother, you cannot be serious right now! You really went and got her out of jail?" He was livid.

"I did. I said I was going to so why are you so surprised?" Mrs. Parriston asked him with a steady composure. The words and angry look on her son's face didn't make her flinch not one. Penelope took a shielding position behind her.

"You're unbelievable. You're insane! She stole from the company and you're letting her off the hook because you're not pleased with whom I'm dating right now?"

"That thing you're dating could never be compared to Penelope. Penelope is the woman for you. She has even forgiven you for having her arrested."

"She STOLE from... you know what, I'm at my limit with you and Penelope. I've been trying, Lord knows I've been trying to keep the peace. I've been walking on eggshells! No matter what I say, you're going to do whatever it is that you want to do."