The maze runner: Prologue

The girl shot out of her slumber, hearing the loud metal ringing in her ears as she sat up. She definitely didn't remember to sleep, much less in a metal cage. Her eyes adjusted to the dark, blinking a few times as she looked around herself. She could make out she was in some kind of elevator which was being pulled up by cables, and she was surrounded by barrels and boxes, all having the letters WCKD written on them.

''Hey, can someone hear me!?'' The elevator stopped suddenly, the girl already standing up as she looked down, immediately regretting it as she looked up again, shielding her eyes from a bright light. ''New Greenie sounds like a girl.'' She lifted an eyebrow as a boy jumped down, a surprised look on his face as he looked up. ''That's cause she is.''

A lot of voices filled her ears, some louder than others, ''what?''

''A girl?''

''What do you mean Alby?''

He extended his arm to her, ''come on, let's get you up.'' She took his hand, she couldn't place why she just trusted this boy, but for some reason, she did. He helped her climb the rope that had been thrown down to them. At least twenty boys stood around them, all looking at her as if they had never seen a girl.

''Alright, everyone, give her some space.'' Her eyes roamed around, another boy stepping up with an extended arm. ''Hi, I'm Nick, the leader of this place.'' She shook his hand as she tried to remember her own name, ''I'm ... I ... don't know?''

''Not to worry, it'll come back to you in a day or so, it's the only thing they let us keep.'' He looked around as he clapped in his hands, ''okay, everyone back to work!''

The girl followed Nick around the Glade, a lot of surprised looks followed her as she did her best to ignore them. ''Why is everyone staring at me?'' She asked as she took a small jog, ending up next to him. ''Well, it's a bit hard to explain, don't feel bad if you don't understand all of it.''

She followed him up a ladder, ending up in a tree as he sat down on the ledge. ''We kind of have a routine in here, with you coming up here, that routine is slightly different.''

''Different how?'' He motioned around, his head turning to her. ''See any other girl in here?'' She looked around when she had to admit, she only saw boys in the so called Glade. ''That thing you came in, we call it the Box.'' She turned back to him, listening intensely, trying to remember all the terms. ''Once a month, a new Greenie arrives, until now, they were all boys.'' She frowned as she looked around, silently counting the boys.

''How long have you guys been here?''

''Just over a year.'' Her eyes widened, looking around again as she turned back again. ''Who put us in here?'' He shrugged. ''I wish I could tell you, Green bean. We just call them the Creators, why we're here or who we were before this, no-one knows.''

''This is all we got. We've worked hard for it. If you respect this place... everyone will get along just fine.'' She nodded. ''I don't think that'll be a problem.''

''Good, we only have three rules.'' He held up a finger with each rule. ''First, do your part. No time for any freeloaders. Second, never harm another Glader. None of this works unless we have trust. Most importantly... never go beyond those walls.'' She looked at the walls for the first time, she didn't dare to do so before.

''Can I ask what's out there?''

''We call it the Maze, and every night, it closes. Which is good news for us, considering the Grievers in there.''

''The what?''

''You'll learn.'' He looked down to see Alby again, smiling at the two as he waved. ''Alby will show you to your hammock where you can sleep.'' She nodded as she got up. ''See you around, Greenie.''

''Yeah,see ya around.'' 

Thank you all so much for joining me on this book and I hope you'll enjoy it. If you enjoyed this prologue please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated of when I post! See you on wednesday!

-X Violet's-library