Chapter twelve

Grace was working in the Medjack hut with Clint and Jeff as they helped two Slicers, as she sat down next to the girl, studying her features. It was weird to see another girl in the Glade, for as far as she knew, she'd never seen another girl.

She tried to help her to eat, but she had to give less and less each time, hearing the girl whimper and whisper under her breath. She could make out a few words she was saying. Thomas, Maze, test, Wicked, good. Grace sighed as she turned to Jeff and Clint, getting up from her spot. ''Hey guys, can you take it from here? I need to check something out.''

''Yeah, it's pretty quiet, go ahead.''

''Thanks!'' As time dawned over the Glade, she began to get nervous, Minho and Alby should be back by now. She could see Newt pacing in front of the East Door as she approached him, placing a hand on his shoulder as they stood in front of the Maze. She let her head fall onto his shoulder, the boy pushing one arm around her shoulder. 

She noticed the boy chewing on his fingernails before hearing Thomas and Chuck. ''What's wrong with them?'' The younger boy whispered to the Greenie, ''Looks like you did when you popped out of the box.''

''I don't know.'' Thomas replied, looking back at the two blondes. ''Why don't you ask them?''

''We can hear every bloody word you guys are saying.'' Newt called in a loud voice. ''No wonder people hate sleepin' next to you shanks.''

''What is wrong with you?'' Chuck asked as he looked at the two. ''No offense, but you look like klunk.'' Grace sighed as she looked towards the Maze before looking at Newt's watch, time was running out. ''The girl from the Box. Keeps groanin' and saying all kinds of weird stuff, but won't wake up. Medjacks are doing their best to feed her, but she's eating' less each time. I'm tellin' ya, something's very bad about that whole bloody thing.''

Grace turned to Newt, pursing her lips together before turning to the two next to them. 'Minho and Alby should have been back hours ago.''

Grace couldn't eat that night, she stayed right in front of the West Door as she plucked at the grass below her, a nervous habit. Newt joined her a bit later, a plate in his lap as he tried to eat something. He also tried to get Grace to eat, but she just shook her head. ''I can't eat, I'm too nervous.'' 

''Why can't we go in?'' Thomas and Chuck joined them. ''Won't the Grievers get them if they stay out there? Shouldn't we do something?'' Newt turned around, his face red with fury. ''Shut your hole Greenie!'' Even Grace flinched at that, getting back up onto her knees as she looked at the Brit. ''Not a bloody week you've been here! You think I wouldn't risk my life in a second to save those lugs?''

''No ... I ... Sorry. I didn't mean ... '' It was obvious he didn't know what to say, Newt looked at him as his face softened. ''You don't get it yet, Tommy. Going out there at night is beggin' for death. We'd just be throwin' more lives away. If those Shanks don't make it back ... '' He paused as he looked at the Gladers around him, Grace pulling him into her side. ''We all swore an oath, never go out at night. No matter what. Never.''

Thomas looked over at Chuck, who seemed as pale-faced as Newt. ''Newt won't say it.'' He started, looking at the teens, ''so I will. If they're not back, it means they're dead. Minho's too smart to get lost. Impossible. They're dead.'' Grace wished she could say it wasn't true, that Minho and Alby were going to come back any moment but Newt's voice brought her back ''The doors close in two minutes.''

A loud boom sounded from all directions, then came the crunching, grinding sound of stone against stone. The Doors were closing for the night. ''They got him!'' That voice, Minho.

She quickly turned to see the boy down the corridor, sthen, noticing Alby's slum body being dragged by Minho. She watched as Minho tried desperately to get Alby on his feet, finally giving up and starting to drag Alby with him. Grace stood there, having to watch him struggle while she wasn't able to do anything.  ''Come on Minho!'' She yelled at him, her hands cupped around her mouth. 

Others had formed around them, almost all Gladers stood around them as they started to scream at Minho, urging him to go on. Minho stumbled up ahead, fell to the ground.  Time as up, that was it. Than, she heard Newt scream. ''Don't do it Tommy! Don't you bloody do it!'' Newt threw out his arm, trying to grab the Greenie, missing him by an inch as Thomas pushed himself through the small gap, falling in just before the Doors closed. 

I decided to skip the conversation between Thomas and Newt about Alby being the first Glader and all cause that is not the storyline I'm following. I'm following the books on this one and in the books, the twenty original Gladers, including Minho, Newt, Alby, Nick and Frypan (and others which I don't remember) all woke up around the Box, instead of Alby being send up, so that explains it! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you on Wednesday!

-X Violet's-library