Chapter eight

They finally followed the girl through tunnels as Thomas was the first to speak. ''How do you catch them?''

''Catch them? What, do you think we're stupid?'' Grace looked at the girl in surprise, looking at the others besides her. ''We don't catch them. We just take precautions when people start to turn.''

''And I thought WICKED was inhumane.'' Grace muttered under her breath as Newt grabbed onto her hand. ''Wait, those things back there were your friends?'' Teresa asked as they passed a few people, ''you just chained them up?''

''No worse than cutting them loose to Crank Palace.''

''What the hell is Crank Palace?'' The girl turned around at Thomas' question and Grace wished that he would stop asking so many questions all the time, ''you guys aren't from around here, are you?'' She pulled open a door as they reached yet another part of the huge, burned and fallen down building.

''So now we're taking in strays?'' Minho stood tall against the man in front of him as the girl climbed down the stairs, ''back off Barkley, Jorge saw them first.'' Grace pulled on Minho's arm, pulling him up the stairs before he could start a fight with the man, the look in her eyes enough for him to follow her. ''Who's Jorge?'' Thomas questioned as he pointed at the man downstairs, wondering who saw them first and what he wanted with them. ''You'll see. No one's come out of the Scorch in a long time. You've just got him curious.'' She turned to Thomas and added three simple words with a flirtatious tone. ''And me, too.''

''Anyone else starting to get a bad feeling about this place?'' Newt questioned as Grace nodded her head, but Thomas just turned around. ''Let's just hear him out. See what he has to say.''

''Jorge, they're here.'' The girl let herself fall on the couch next to her as the man shushed her before turning his radio off, turning around to face the group of teenagers. ''Do you ever get the feeling the whole world's against you?'' The Gladers all turned to each other, they basically felt like that every single day. ''Three questions. Where did you come from? Where are you going? How can I profit?'' The Gladers looked at each other, not knowing wherever to answer him. Most looked to Minho and Thomas, the two of them being the leaders of the group. ''Don't all answer at once.''

''We're headed for the mountains.'' Thomas finally spoke, ''Looking for the Right Arm.'' People around them laughed as Grace caught the glance the girl with the pixie cut send towards Jorge. The blond frowned as the man continued. ''You're looking for ghosts, you mean.'' He took a sip of the, what seemed like, whiskey, he had poured himself. ''Question number two. Where did you come from?''

''That's our business.'' Grace wished that Minho hadn't said that as Jorge looked at the boy for a long time as his face was blank of emotions. ''You didn't just say that to me, did you? Please tell me you didn't just speak to me like a dog. You have ten seconds to apologize'' Grace hit his arm as he just looked at the girl with a smirk. ''One,'' Jorge said. ''Two. Three. Four.'' She shot him a look of warning as she nodded at him before signing. ''Just do it.'' Grace said as she looked at Minho.

''Five. Six.''

''Do it,'' Thomas finally said aloud.

''Seven. Eight.'' Jorge's voice was rising with each number. Grace looked around, seeing the people step closer, she was relieved that Minho spotted it too, any arrogance drained from his face.

"Nine."

"I'm sorry," Minho blurted out, with little feeling.

"I don't think you meant that," Jorge said. Then he kicked Minho in the leg. Grace's hands clenched into fists when Minho cried out in pain, closing her eyes as she turned her head away from her best friend.

"Say it with meaning, hermano." Jorge pulled his leg back and kicked Minho again, twice as hard in the same spot. "Say it with meaning!" He screamed the last word with a harshness that sounded crazed. Minho wailed, grabbing the wound with both hands. "I'm ... sorry," he said between heavy breaths, his voice strained and full of pain. The man seemed pleased with the humiliation. Grace rushed to him, looking over his leg as he nodded. ''I'm okay ... ''

She was suddenly pulled down by two men and hell broke loose. Newt tried to jump forward, yelling at them. ''Let go of her! Let go her!''

''Shut up you big baby.'' The girl spoke as she pushed the girl's hair back, looking at the tattoo imprinted on her neck. ''You were right.'' Jorge looked at her neck, tracing it as Newt yelled again. ''Don't touch her! Don't you dare touch her!'' The other Gladers were let go as Newt pulled her back to him, holding her in his arms to shield her away.

''I'm sorry Hermano. Looks like you're tagged.'' Jorge pointed at them. ''You came from WICKED. Which means ... you're very. Valuable.''

I know this one is a bit shorter, nut if I added the next schene's it would be like over 2000 words so I decided to shorten it. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you on Wednesday!

-X Violet's-library