Chapter two

TW: Mention of suicide attempt

Two months had passed, Grace was alone in the Medjack hut since Clint was at lunch and Jeff had the day off. She was putting away the bandages when she noticed Newt walking into the hut. ''Newt, everything alright?''

He quickly turned around, his eyes red as he looked like he wanted to say something before changing his mind. ''I – I uhm, don't feel so good, do you have some painkillers?''

''I do, but why do you need them?''

''I just don't feel well, alright, please?'' He held a hand to his head as she nodded. ''Alright, I'm going to get you some painkillers, but if you need anything else, even just to talk, please let me know, alright?''

''Okay.'' His eyes flickered in all directions as if to avoid her gaze when she stood in front of him, holding out two painkillers as he took them, quickly pacing away from her and into the Glade.

Minho practically ran to her table, sitting down in front of her with an excited look on her face. ''So, did he tell you?'' She frowned at him as she placed her fork down. ''what?''

''Did Newt tell you?'' Her frown grew even more. ''Told me what?'' Now it was Minho's turn to frown and stare at her. ''So, he didn't tell you?''

''Minho, I have no clue what you're talking about. What was he supposed to tell me?'' Minho scoffed as he turned to Alby. ''She's playing with us, right?''

''I don't think so.'' Grace looked at them as she tried to read their expressions. ''What the Shuck are you two talking about?'' She glanced at them again as she sighed. ''You're not telling me anything, are you?''

''Nope.''

It was clear that Grace wasn't in the right mindset the whole day and so Clint and Jeff did their best to distract the girl. ''Hey, Grace, did I ever tell you about how Clint fell face first in the Pigs house?'' When she didn't reply, Jeff called out again. ''Hey, Grace?''

''Hm?'' She turned around, a frown on her face. ''Oh, sorry, what'd you say?''

''Are you feeling alright? You look a little off.'' She shrugged. ''I kind of am, I don't know, Newt was acting weird yesterday and now, Minho and Alby asked me if he told me something, which he didn't, by the way.'' She waved her hands through her hair as she sighed. ''And now, it's all I can think about and I'm stressed, wondering if I should have asked more yesterday and I'm – ''

''MEDJACKS!'' The three of them turned around at the sound of Alby's voice, yelling throughout the Glade as they began to run towards the sound. ''MEDJACKS!'' Grace stopped in her tracks when she saw Alby dragging Newt out of the Maze, his leg twisted in weird angles and his eyes closed. ''Oh god, is he – '' Jeff had rushed forward, his fingers on his neck as he waited for a pulse. ''Get him to the hut, quickly!'' Grace started to run forward, grabbing all the supplies and getting the bed ready as they rushed in. ''Get him on, get him on!'' They quickly moved him onto the bed, the three Medjacks quickly starting on their work.

Grace didn't even notice she was working on Newt's leg, her mind was empty and racing at the same time as she worked. She could hear Alby's heavy breathing and pacing, Jeff and Clint right next to her, breathing heavily just like she was, all three of them working in sync as they passed multiple supplies around each other, hoping to help the Brit in any way.

Grace sat down next to the blonde on the bed, moving a piece of hair out of his face as Jeff walked in. ''I come bearing good news.'' Her head perked up at his voice. ''His leg was only broken in three places instead of five, so that's good.'' He grabbed something from a cabinet, walking over to Newt. ''Next to that, it could heal good enough that he can still walk.'' She nodded as she turned to the sleeping boy, Nick walking into the hut as well, sitting down next to the girl.

''He looks better.'' She nodded as he placed an arm around her shoulders. ''We're cancelling all jobs today, everyone should get the time to process this.''

''I don't get it.'' Alby spoke quietly, their heads turning to him as he had his arms folded over each other. ''He was always so lively and happy ... why would he do this?'' Grace turned back to the Brit, who was laying in bed, eyes closed as the sheets were pulled up to his neck, his head slightly tilted to the side. ''He was just about to ... '' He stopped his sentence, his eyes on Grace as she looked up.

''Why are you looking at me?''

''It's nothing.''

Grace stayed with Newt through the night, sitting in a chair next to his bed as she rested her legs on the bed, her head leaning on her hand as she gave soft snores. She woke up to the sound of the door opening, her eyes quickly opening to see Minho. ''Hey, morning.''

She nodded in acknowledgement as he sat down on the bed next to Newt. ''How is he doing?''

''Still asleep, we've tried our best but I don't think he'll be running again.''

''That's alright, I just needed to know he was going to be alright.''

''Yeah, yeah, he'll be alright.'' She didn't know who she was reassuring, Minho or herself.

Newt woke up later that day, his eyes roaming around the room when Grace rushed up to him. ''Hey, you're awake.'' She quickly sat down onto the bed next to him, ''how are you feeling?''

''Bloody horrible.'' He croaked out as Grace grabbed the jar of water and the painkillers she had placed on the bedside table. He helped him swallow it down, holding his head in her hands to help him sit up. ''Do you need anything else?'' He shook his head, letting the girl help him sit up.

''Why didn't you let me?'' Her head turned as her eyes widened. ''Why didn't you just let me die?'' She didn't know what to say, she just sat there until she knew what to say. ''Why did you want me to?''

''Because I'm so sick of it!'' She flinched at the sound of his yelling, getting up from besides him. ''It's useless! The Maze is unsolvable, there is no way out, they are just watching us run around like mice!'' He looked up to see her tear-streaked face, his face twisting in disgust at himself. ''Leave me alone, please.''

''Newt ... ''

''Leave me alone!'' And so she did, getting Alby and Clint to watch him instead. 

I still feel so bad for Newt, I cannot imagine what he must have thought in the Maze and I hated to write this, but I also love spreading the awareness. I hope you enjoyed this chapter enough to leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated. See you on Wednesday!

-X Violet's-library