Chapter eight

Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months and months turned into a year. A full year had passed already and Grace had been in the Glade for a year and a half now. Gally had returned to his job but he wasn't the same. He snapped easier and seemed more on edge. Newt and Grace, on the other hand, had gotten closer and seemed to be together every time neither of them were working. 

It was a busy day for the Medjacks, three slicers had gotten into an argument and while Winston tried to break it up, all of them had gotten hurt. Meanwhile, Dan, a Runner had come in with a twisted ankle. With only three Medjacks, they were spread thin and were running all over the place, trying to help their patients. 

''Okay, you're all set, you need to take it easy cause you have quite some stitches, if any of them break, come back in, okay?'' The slicer, Johnny nodded at her before thanking her and going back to the Bloodhouse while Grace rushed towards Dan to check out his ankle. He hissed in pain as she inspected it, seeing Jeff and Clint still working on the slicers when Alby came in. ''Please say you're not here for an injury.'' Grace practically begged as he shook his head. ''No, just needed some painkillers, can I help you guys?''

''Yeah, can you hold Dan's foot stable? If it moves too much it could snap out of place and than we'll have bigger problems.'' He nodded as he helped her to stabilize Dan's foot while Grace worked on it. He hissed and groaned in pain as Grace apologized, asking him to keep it as still as possible. 

About an hour later, all three Medjacks were sitting or laying on the floor, exhausted from the day as the door opened again. ''Please, no more injuries!'' 

''No, just me, my leg is killing me.'' They looked up as Grace practically sprung at her boyfriends voice, the boy leaning heavily on his good leg as he groaned in pain, Grace helping him to sit on the bed before walking over to the painkillers, grabbing two of them and a jar of water. ''Here, this should help.'' He downed them before wiping his mouth.

Jeff in the meantime, had walked over and rolled up his jeans, inspecting his leg which had turned blue. ''I thought we told you not to overuse it, you've been standing for too long.'' 

''Well, the crops were better than expected and if we didn't harvest them now, they would go bad.'' He gave a yelp of pain when Jeff adjusted a muscle into its place. ''Bloody shucking hell!'' He had grabbed onto Grace's hand, squeezing it harshly as she almost groaned in pain too, waving her hand to get rid of the pain. ''Well, that's what you get for ignoring doctor's orders.'' 

''Yeah, yeah'' he mocked him as Grace chuckled, kissing his head as Newt thanked her. ''See, that is why Grace is my favourite Medjack.'' 

''Oh, that's the only reason?'' Jeff questioned as Newt nodded, Jeff smirking before pulling his head to him and kissing him on the head, making both Clint and Grace double over in laughter as Newt wiped his head, trying to scrub it away. ''So, am I your favourite now?''

This made the other two Medjacks double over in laughter yet again, Clint laying on the floor as Grace had to hold onto the bed so she wouldn't fall over. ''No, but I do hate all three of you now.'' Newt jumped of the bed as Jeff joined the laughter of the other two. ''Bye Newton!'' He called after him as Newt walked out of the hut, leaving the three Medjacks a laughing mess. 

Grace was tossing and turning in her hammock that night, groaning and panting as she was suddenly woken up by Jeff. ''Hey, wake up.'' She basically jumped awake, seeing Jeff, Newt and Minho next to her, Minho dapping a towel on her forehead to get rid of the sweat. ''Are you feeling alright? You were having a nightmare.'' She clasped a hand over her mouth, shaking her head as Jeff quickly grabbed a bucket, holding it in front of her as he held her hair back, allowing the girl to get the contents of her stomach out. ''Yeah, that's it, get it out.'' She coughed as Jeff turned to Minho. ''Can you wake Clint? She needs to get to the Medjack hut.'' He nodded, passing the towel to Newt as Grace wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, coughing up the last bits. 

''Okay, let's get you up.'' Jeff grabbed the bucket, Newt shielding his nose from the stench, the Medjack laughing at him. ''Oh, just wait till she really starts, this is nothing.'' He bumped his shoulder to Newt's as he chuckled. ''Guess you two won't be kissing for a while.''

''Oh shut up, just get her up.'' They each threw one of her arms around their necks, guiding the girl to the Medjack hut as her fever broke through. Clint and Minho met up with them, Minho taking Newt's stop, seeing him struggle with his bad leg. ''Here, I've got her.''

Newt groaned as he gave his girlfriends weight over to Minho, thanking him as Clint rushed ahead, opening the door and getting the bed ready for his fellow Medjack. ''Okay, lifting on three, one, two, three!'' Clint grabbed onto her legs, lifting the girl while Jeff and Minho lifted her arms up. ''Newt, can you grab the thermometer from that box?'' He nodded as he grabbed the box, throwing the device over to Clint who put it in Grace's mouth. ''101,4. Okay, not too bad, that's good.'' 

''What happened?''

''Probably just a virus, considering we're always around sick people, she must have caught something, she'll be alright.'' Newt didn't look so sure, waving hair out of her face as she barely kept her eyes open. ''Newt, I promise, she'll be alright in a day or two.'' 

Newt had taken upon himself to stay with Grace while she was sick. She could barely hold her food and so Frypan mostly made her soup with some greens on the side so she could keep her strength up. Newt fed her most of the time, the girl constantly dropping the spoon as her hand was shaking from the cold in her body. 

When he arrived in the morning after, she was sitting up straight, eating the soup herself, finally feeling somewhat normal again. ''Hey, you look better.'' She looked up with a smile, nodding at him as she placed the bowl next to her, scooting over so he could sit next to her. ''You scared me for a moment, should have known better.'' He ruffled the top of her hair while she chuckled. ''Well, trust a Medjack to get back to full health within a few days.'' He smiled as he leaned forward, pecking her lips before pulling back. ''No offense, but you need a mint.''

She scoffed as she looked at him. ''And you need a shower, you stink.'' They both chuckled as he pulled her into another kiss, waving his hand over her hair. ''Okay, I'll go shower, and then I'll come back with a mint from the kitchens, plan?'' 

''It's a deal.'' They sealed it with a kiss before Newt got up and walked out of the Medjack hut again, leaving the girl to eat her soup in peace. 

I had this thought about how Newt would react to Grace getting sick and so I decided to make it a cute moment for the two before the last chapter before getting into the plot! I wanted this one to be kinda happy since the plot is pretty dark and so I wanted to give them a small break before we get into it! I'll see you in the next chapter and if you enjoyed this one, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you on Wednesday!

-X Violet's-library