Chapter three

When Grace arrived to Newt's room a week later, panic rose into her chest when he wasn't in his bed. The blanket was thrown to one side and the glass of water was still in the same spot she'd put it the day before. She rushed out of the door, glancing around the Glade when Jeff walked up to her. ''Grace, you alright?''

''Where's Newt!?''

''Don't worry, he's with Clint, working on the crutches.''

''Crutches?'' He guided her through the Glade, towards the Homestead where Alby, Nick and Clint were steadying the boy on the crutch. Nick and Alby each on one side as Clint stood in front of him.

''Good to see you out of bed.'' Grace spoke when the other two Medjacks came up to the group, Newt almost falling over again as they steadied him. ''But shouldn't you be resting?''

''He insisted on it, even against our doctor's orders.'' Clint answered as he turned to Newt. ''Stubborn Shank.'' He took another step, Grace now behind him as she inspected his leg, watching his joints shoot in and out of place with each step and grunt from Newt.

She was glad she was behind him, or he would have seen her disgusted look. Clint gave a soft smile. ''We might have to amputate after all.''

''This, again Clint?'' Jeff and Grace turned to Newt, who looked at them in shock. ''Don't listen to him, he always wants to amputate.'' Jeff answered for them as they helped him take another step.

Almost an entire month passed when Newt came outside without his crutch, Grace helped him out of the Medjack hut when Minho came rushing down. ''Newt!'' The boy was limping on his bad leg, his eyes squinting as he looked in the sun. Grace smiled, seeing the dark circles around his eyes as he looked at Minho. His skin was paler than she remembered, probably because of the lack of sun he always had with running in the Maze.

''Nice to have you back, ya Shank. We were worried bout ya.'' Newt nodded as he took a step forward, wincing in pain as he looked at the Keeper of the Runners. ''I can't run anymore, Grace told me that already. It's too shucked up.''

''Don't worry about that, okay? We'll find somebody else for the job and you can do another job. We're just happy you're here.'' Minho said to him as Grace nodded. The two figured he would be hungry as Minho threw his arms around their shoulders. ''Let's go get some food, you must be hungry and it isn't as busy now.'' Grace followed his pace, the two of them letting Newt lead them, pulling something from his neck as he held it out for Grace.

''Take it, no arguments.'' She nodded, taking it from his hands as she threw the necklace around her neck and playing with the locket at the end. ''Looks good on you.'' Minho commented as they arrived at the kitchens, Frypan pushing plates into their hands as he smiled at Newt. ''Good to see you bud.''

Grace was rolling from side to side in her hammock that night, unable to fall asleep after the hectic day. She got up after a while, looking around and seeing Jeff sleeping beside her. She sighed as she passed through the hammocks while trying not to wake up any other Gladers.

She had made her way to the kitchens, grabbing one of the jars and filling it up with water from the water fountain. Taking quick sips from the jar when she heard uneven footsteps behind her, she turned around to face Newt, quickly putting her jar down and helping him stand. ''You shouldn't be walking on your own yet, what're doing here?''

''I couldn't sleep.''

''Here, I'll grab you a jar.'' She filled a second jar as she held up her own. ''Cheers.'' He chuckled as he put his jar against hers. ''I never got to apologize to you, for how I acted in the Medjack hut.''

''It's alright, I know you didn't mean it.''

''Still, you were just trying to help, I shouldn't have reacted like that.''

''Newt, honestly, it's alright.'' She spoke as she took another sip from the jar, seeing his gaze still on her as she chuckled. ''What?''

''I never told you what I wanted to tell you in the Medjack hut.''

''Oh, yeah, Minho and Alby had been pestering me about that.'' She placed her jar down on the counter, when she turned back around, Newt was in front of her, blocking her path with his own body. ''Oh, hello.'' A blush appeared on her cheeks as she stared at the boy in front of her, her breathing quickening.

''I am going to tell you now, so I can't chicken out again, I have feelings for you, more than friendly feelings, and I wanted to tell you, but I chickened out and just asked for pain killers and than I chickened out even more by jumping of that stupid Maze wall and I just want you to know, even if you don't feel the same way, I just needed – '' She broke him of by placing her lips on his, a smile appearing on her face as she placed her arms around his neck while his sneaked around her waist. ''Oh, I'm sorry.'' The two jumped apart as they turned to look at Minho behind them. ''Uhm, yeah, I'm going to go now.'' He started to walk away before turning back. ''At least be safe.''

''Minho! Geez!''

''Just saying.'' 

Grace and Newt are together! I personally hate slow burns so ... yeah, not this time! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list. See on Saturday!

-X Violet's-library