Chapter ten

Grace ran behind Minho and Brenda as they sped through the city. Every step she took was faster than the last, wanting to get to Newt as fast as she could. From what Minho and Gally told her, there wasn't much time left for him. 

Avoiding the gunfire from both Lawrence's people and the WICKED soldiers made it hard for them to even get a second step in, but the only thing on their mind was to get to their friends. Grace pushed ahead, pulling Minho with her as they ran through the city. 

They had to stop as gunfire bombard them, only Brenda making it though as the others had to find cover. As soon as they could, they followed the girl, rushing to her. Grace arrived seconds after Brenda did, seeing Thomas walk away with Newt laying on the floor, not moving and a knife in his chest. 

Grace let out a horrible scream, falling to her knees as she cried as loud as she could, Minho grabbing onto her as he held the Serum in his hand. ''No! No Newt!'' Gally walked up to the boy, sitting down next to him and placing a hand on his neck. ''Grace ... Grace he has a pulse!'' 

Grace sat in the Berg, waving a piece of hair out of Newt's face. A bandage around his wound where Grace had stopped the bleeding, a bandage around his arm where she had stuck the needle for the serum to enter his body. 

She had recruited one of the kids that had been a Medjack as well in their Glade to keep his fingers on Newt's pulse, counting from one to thirty with his heart beat. It was slow and weak, but it was there. The black veins were still visible as well, but they were clearly less.  

''Holy shit.'' Grace looked up as she turned to the kid, who nodded at her. ''Go, I've got it, I'll call you if something changes.'' She rushed to Frypan, looking out of the window to see the entire city up in flames. ''We need to hurry.''

''There!'' Grace pointed ahead, seeing two figures on a rooftop. ''Yeah, I think I got 'em!''

''Yeah that's him, I'll get the hatch.'' Brenda and Grace rushed to the back of the Berg as they Jorge positioned them in the right spot, Grace and Minho both laying down on their stomachs to pull them in. ''Thomas!'' Vince called for them as Teresa pulled Thomas with her, the boy obviously hurt.

Gally grabbed onto Grace's legs as she got as close to the other two as she could, Frypan doing the same for Minho as the four Gladers worked together. After two attempts, Teresa grabbed Thomas, throwing him forward a bit as Grace and Minho grabbed onto him. ''We've got you!'' They pulled him in as another building collapsed, Teresa turning around before facing the group.

The building she was standing on was collapsing with her on it, the girl falling down with gravity as Grace turned Thomas around, inspecting his wound as she called out for someone to get her a shirt. ''Stay with us buddy, stay with us.'' She pressed it against his wound as Brenda tried to keep him from fainting, when he eventually did, Gracekept working on his wound, trying to get the bleeding to stop. ''Come on Thomas ... I let two others die from bleeding out, you're not doing the same.'' 

Because this chapter is so short I will be uploading the epilogue right after this so you don't have to wait the full week! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you in the last chapter!

-X Violet's-library