chapter seventeen

The Gladers had been working on the maps the entire night, hiding out in the Map room to avoid the Grievers. Grace was sleeping on the floor when Newt shook her awake. ''We've got another word.'' He helped her up as she stretched her limbs, stiff from the night's sleep. 

''Let's go and meet Minho and Thomas at the West door, they should be here any moment now.'' 

''What happened? Tell me you've got good news." Newt spoke as soon as Minho and Thomas stepped out of the Maze. Minho's eyes were dead, staring at a spot somewhere in the grey distance. "Nothing," he said. "The Maze is a big freaking joke."

Grace looked at Thomas, confused as she never even saw the Maze from the inside. "What's he talking about?"

"He's just discouraged," Thomas said with a weary shrug. "We didn't find anything different.
The walls haven't moved, no exits, nothing. Did the Grievers come last night?"
Newt paused, darkness passing over his face. Finally, he nodded. "Yeah. They took Adam."

''Did you guys find anything?''

''We got more words last night.'' Grace answered as she nodded to the Map room. ''I think we have them all now actually but - '' She stopped, seeing Gally match towards them, his fist ready as he went straight for Thomas. ''Gally ... '' He hit him square in the face, knocking the boy back to the ground as the commotion outside the map room brought the other Gladers out. Winston, Frypan and Newt held back to older boy.

''This is all you, Thomas! Look around!'' Grace pulled Thomas back on his feet as she stood in front of him, staring at Gally who had officially lost it. ''You heard what Alby said! He's one of them! He's one of them, and they sent him here to destroy everything, and now he has! Look around, Thomas! Look around! This is your fault!''

The boys started to push the Builder back. ''Back off, Gally! This is not Thomas' fault! What are you talking about? Calm down.''

''They sent him here, and now he's destroyed everything that we've built!''

''Thomas...'' Grace turned around, her eyes widening at the sight of Thomas holding onto a Grievers sting ray, turning to the brunette girl next to him. ''I need to remember, Teresa.'' Both her and Teresa jumped forward, trying to stop him as he pushed the sting ray into his leg, falling onto the ground once more as Teresa screamed. ''Thomas!'' The boys turned around, Newt yelling. ''No, don't!'' But it was too late, within a second, everyone was around the boy Grace pushed forward, the serum in her hand as both Clint and Jeff turned to her in surprise. 

''Hold him still.'' While Jeff and Clint did so, Teresa turned back again to Thomas, ''It's okay. Thomas, I'm here.'' Grace grabbed his arm, jamming the needle in as his eyes closed and his body began to trash, the boy going through the Changing. 

Morning came and Minho, Grace, Newt and Chuck sat in front of the Slammer where both Teresa and Thomas were being held. ''Hey. Are you okay?''

''What the hell were you thinking?'' Chuck asked him, turning the attention to the boy as the other three came in sight too. ''What happened?'' Thomas questioned, looking at the other five Gladers. ''Gally has taken control.'' Newt started to explain, his hand holding onto Grace's ''he said we had a choice. Either join him... or get banished at sundown with you.''

''And the others agreed to that?''

''Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this has happened.'' Teresa answered for the other Gladers.

''Well, he's been right so far.'' They all frowned, but Minho was the one who asked the question. ''What are you talking about?'' Thomas looked at them before he began. ''This place... it's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison, it's a test.'' He looked at the four in front of the Slammer. ''It all started when we were kids. They would give us these challenges. They were experimenting on us. And then people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other, like clockwork.''

''They were sending them up into the maze.'' Grace concluded, earning a nod from Thomas. ''Yeah, but not all of us.'' He sighed as Newt frowned at him. ''What do you mean?'' Thomas stared at them for a while. ''Guys, I'm one of them. The people who put you here, I worked with them. I watched you guys for years. The entire time you have been here... I was on the other side of it.'' He turned to Teresa, nodding at her. ''So were you.''

''What?''

''Teresa, we did this to them.'' Teresa shook her head fractionally. ''No. That can't be true.'' Grace turned to Newt, looking for an answer as he waved his hand over his mouth and chin. ''It is. I saw it.''

''Why would they send us up if we were with them?''

''It doesn't matter.''

''He's right.'' Newt broke the silence, all heads turning to the former Second-in-command. ''It doesn't matter. Any of it. Because the people we were before the maze don't even exist anymore. These Creators took care of that.'' Newt leaned forwards as he looked through the wooden bars. ''But what does matter is who we are now, and what we do... right now. You went into the maze and you found a way out.'' Thomas frowned as Minho turned to Thomas. ''I went back in, we think it's the exit. The Griever hole, it has to be.''

He turned to them, ''Pick your ass up and finish what you started.'' Newt spoke as he looked at them. ''Because if we do nothing... then that means the Gladers who are dead, died for nothing, and I can't have that.'' Thomas nodded, ''Okay. Okay, but we gotta get through Gally first.'' And so, they began working on a plan to do so.

We are getting so close to the end of book one, only two more chapters before getting into the second book! If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated! See you on Saturday!

-X Violet's-library