The death cure: Prologue

--Newt--

Newt sat waiting in his position for the train, playing with the cuffs of his sleeves. Six months he hadn't seen Grace or Minho. He wondered how they'd react, especially Grace. He wished he could jump up already, get his girlfriend and best friend away from WICKED, hold Grace in his arms again. 

He had dreamed about that moment so many times and always hated to wake back up again. Every time he woke up and she wasn't next to him was like a cruel wake-up call that he had failed to keep her safe. But today, they were going to change that. 

''Newt!'' He looked up, getting up from his knees when the train cards had stopped. ''All right, come on, let's go. Come on!''

''Minho! Grace! Minho, can you hear me?'' Screams erupted and Newt couldn't make out where they came from or who's voice was who's, he was desperately trying to make out her voice. ''This one. This one!'' Thomas tapped the side as Newt nodded, sitting down next to it as he put the black goggles around his head, shielding his eyes from the sparks coming up the electrical cutting machine. 

''Newt, how you doing?''

''Don't rush me.'' He spoke through the cloth shielding his mouth, his accent breaking through as he continued his work. Gunfire came their way, Newt ducking away as his friends covered for him. ''Shit! Newt, get up here.''

''Almost there.'' Vince jumped down, shielding the boy until he was done with his work, ''Newt, go!''

He climbed up, laying down on top of the card. ''Where the hell are they?'' He looked up again, looking for the Berg that Jorge, Brenda and the others were supposed to steal. ''I don't know!''

The Berg finally showed up, Vince still on the ground as Thomas and Newt were lowering the hook and hooking it to the card. ''Lower!'' 

''Cover me!'' Vince yelled from below, looking up as Thomas nodded. ''Vince, get up here! Now, Vince!'' He did, jumping onto the ladder as the card was lifted into the air, the entire group safe from the gunfire that the WICKED soldiers were still firing. 

''Yeah!'' Thomas was the first to cheer, pumping his fist in the air. Newt laughed, pulling Thomas into a hug before thanking Vince, shaking his hand as he looked to his feet. Grace and Minho were finally back. 

--Grace--

The travel towards the end destination was quiet, nobody dared to say a word, scared that it would be WICKED instead of people to rescue them. Practically as soon as they landed, the door was cut open and Thomas, Newt and Harriet rushed in. Her eyes widened as Thomas rushed to Aris and Sonya while Newt's eyes landed on her. ''Grace!'' He shoved past Thomas, quickly hurrying to the girl as he crouched down. pulling her into his body while trying to hold his tears. Grace however, let her tears spill onto his shirt. 

''We're gonna get you out of here, alright?'' She nodded as the boy held her hands, a smile on his face as he looked at her. ''Gosh, I missed you so much.'' Then Thomas realized she was in the last row. ''Minho ... he isn't here.''

Grace held Newt's jacket close to her body, shielding her eyes from the sun as Vince called the attention to himself. ''All right, listen up. I know you've all been through hell. I wish I could say our troubles are over. But we're not through this yet. WICKED's still out there. They're not giving up. 'Cause you got something they want. They took you because you're immune to a plague that's wiping out the human race. And they think you're worth sacrificing to find a cure. Well, I don't.'' Some clapped and cheered, but Grace looked around, trying to find her friends in the crowd. ''So in two days, when we get this tub of rust seaworthy, we're getting the hell outta here. We're gonna go to a place where WICKED will never find you. A place you can start over. A place you can call home.'' 

Grace went to sleep for a bit after while the other three Gladers sat with each other, wanting to give the Grace her much needed rest. ''I wanted Minho to be on that train too, Tommy.'' Newt began as he turned to Thomas.

''We all did.'' Frypan spoke. ''I just can't believe we're talking about leaving without him.'' Thomas spoke as he turned to the tent.

''I know.'' Newt spoke up, turning to Vince. ''But Vince is just trying to look out for the others. Six months we've been chasing WICKED around the Scorch trying to find Minho and Grace, I'm surprised he held out as long as he did.'' 

''This ... safe haven, I don't know if it's the paradise Vince keeps saying it is, I do know that Minho gave up everything so we could have this chance. What, you just wanna throw that away?'' Newt questioned as Thomas raised his head.

''If it were Grace, would you leave her behind?'' 

''I don't know, but I think they'd kick all of our asses if we did.'' Frypan spoke with a soft laugh. But Thomas was right, it made Newt think, would he leave without Grace?

''Hey!'' Harriet's voice rang out as she came running towards the three boys. ''It's Aris and Grace, they're awake!''

Soon after, Sonya, Aris, Harriet, Newt, Thomas, Grace and Brenda all sat in a room, the three that had just been rescued from WICKED sitting next to each other when Harriet gave each of them some water.

''Here, drink this.'' Grace took it from her eagerly, chucking it down as Aris chuckled. ''Took you guys long enough to rescue us.''

''It's good to see you, too, bud.''

''So what happened?'' Thomas questioned, nodding to Aris' beat up state. ''I fought back. Tried to, anyway.'' Sonya nodded as she went on. ''You're lucky you found us at all. They had us on the move a lot. It felt like something big was happening.''

''Any idea where they were heading?''

''They kept talking about some city.'' All heads turned to Grace as Harriet frowned. ''I didn't think there were any cities left.''

''That's because there aren't.'' Brenda answered for her, her arms crossed over each other. ''Not still standing, anyway.''

''Okay, wait. What about Minho?'' At the mention of the name, Grace had to swallow away tears, Newt quickly grabbing her hand in comfort. ''Why wasn't he on the train?'' Grace wiped her nose with her sleeve. ''He was, just in another card.''

Honestly, the opening scene of the death cure is iconic! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated of when I post! See you on Wednesday! 

-X Violet's-library