Epilogue

''Stay close, and please be careful.'' Newt held Grace's face in his hands as she nodded, dipping into a kiss before pulling her machete from it's holster. Getting ready to attack the Grievers that came closer.

The Gladers charged towards the Grievers as Thomas yelled something to Minho. ''Make a path for Tommy and the girl!'' Newt yelled as they fought. Pieces of her ponytail fell out as Grace fought, the hair falling in front of her face. She could hear the other Gladers yelling, some being thrown of the sides of the long corridor, most likely falling to their death.

They tried to make an opening for Thomas, Teresa and chuck as Grace jumped out of the way of a Griever sting ray coming towards her. She rolled to the side as she was pulled back onto her feet by Frypan. Chuck and Teresa ran forward with the key. ''Thomas! There's a code! Eight numbers.''

Grace pushed herself through as a Griever grabbed her waist, she gave a silent yell as Newt cut the arm of its body, the girl hashly falling onto the ground as he helped her up. ''Minho! What's the sequence?'' Minho turned to Thomas before he yelled over. ''Seven, one, five, two, six, four-'' He couldn't finish as a Griever landed on top of him.

''Grace!'' Her head turned around, seeing Jeff rush towards her when a Griever came up behind him, grabbing him as she yelled out for his name. The boy was thrown off the cliff, yelling as he fell down. ''Jeff!'' 

She rushed over to the cliff, but was pulled away by her arm by Newt as he pulled her away from another Griever coming her way. He grunted as they both used their machete's to hit the creature as it shrieked in, what seemed like, pain. It went towards them again, ready to grab them, when it suddenly collapsed onto the ground. 

All Grievers laid there, no movement at all as Grace looked at the long tunnel into the Griever Hole. ''They did it.'' 

Newt caught Grace as she slid down, landing in his arms as she looked around. She was followed by Frypan, then Winston and other Gladers. Minho did a count, twenty-one Gladers, that meant twenty of them died. 

''The rest?'' Thomas asked. ''Half of us,'' Newt spoke with a weak voice. ''Dead.'' The thought pushed through to Grace, both of her best friends were dead. Sweet and funny Clint and Jeff, both pulled away from her within seconds. 

Newt noticed the girl, looking around when he noticed she was the only Medjack standing. He pulled her into his side, letting her head rest against his chest as tears dropped from her eyes. 

No-one said a word for a while until Minho did, ''You know what? Half might've died, but half of us shucking lived. No-one got stung - just like Thomas thought.'' He looked around, nodding to the other side of the long corridor. ''We gotta get out of here.'' 

They walked through the long corridor till they found a sign that said 'exit'. Frypan looked at it, turning to the others. ''Seriously?'' They shrugged as Thomas opened the door, walking into the room when Grace noticed a man wearing a doctors coat in the corner, covered in blood and not moving.

She followed Thomas into the room, looking at the surroundings as they passed through it, avoiding all the dead bodies around them. She cringed as she moved her hand into Minho's, holding as they walked into a room with a lot of computers. ''So they were watching us.'' 

''Hello. My name is Doctor Ava Paige.'' Her head snapped up to a screen, walking forwards as she stood in front of it. ''I'm Director of Operations of the World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means you have successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there in person to congratulate you... But circumstances seem to have prevented it. I'm sure by now, you must all be very confused... angry... frightened. I can only assure you, that everything that's happened to you... everything we've done to you... it was all done for a reason.''