Chapter one

''Grace, come on now, wake up sleepyhead.''

''Grace, remember me.''

The girl woke up in her hammock after a small nap, a small gasp leaving her lips as she tested out the name. ''Grace?'' She chuckled, remembering her own name. ''I'm Grace ... '' A new boy walked up to her, ending next to her hammock. ''Hey, you're up already.'' Her head turned to a thick, British accent as the blonde boy approached her. ''Alby and Nick asked me to get you up.'' He extended his hand with a smile, ''I'm Newt.''

''Grace.''

''You remember already? That was quick.'' She shrugged as he helped her get out of the hammock. ''Well, it'll be easier to introduce you to everyone at the bonfire.''

''Bonfire?''

Grace stayed close to Newt that evening, trusting the boy and he had promised her to introduce her to the other Gladers. ''Well, you definitely made an entrance, everyone wants to meet you.'' He took two jars from another boy, ''thanks Gally.'' She frowned as Newt pushed the jar in her hand, holding up his own to clink them together. She chuckled as she did so, ''cheers.'' She took a sip before quickly coughing it up as she wiped her mouth, Newt laughing next to her. ''What is that!?''

''I don't know, it's Gally's recipe.''

''Is it pee?''

''What? No!'' He looked down in doubt, ''I don't think so ... No it's not.'' He spoke after sniffing the drink while shaking his head. He placed his hand on her back, leading her through the different groups around her. ''Hey Fry!'' A boy looked up as the two of them walked towards him, Newt greeting the boy with a handshake. ''Let's show our Greenie what your bacon tastes like.''

Grace frowned as the boy pushed a plate in her hands, nodding at her to taste it. She took it hesitantly, taking a bite out of it before her eyes widened. ''Wow, alright, I get the hype.'' He smiled as she put the rest in her mouth, extending his hand. ''Name's Frypan, I'm the cook around here.''

''Grace.''

Newt pulled onto her arm softly, leading her around again. ''Those are our Runners, Minho, the middle one, is the Keeper. I'm also a Runner, by the way.'' She looked at the Asian boy who was talking Alby, the two of them laughing. '' And there we got the builders. They're very good with their hands but not a lot going on upstairs.'' Grace chuckled as he pointed at the group behind him. ''And then we got Winston... he's the Keeper of the Slicers.''

''Slicers?'' She frowned at the name, Runners and Builders were easy to guess, but Slicers wasn't as easy. ''They take care of our animals and ... well, uhm ... ''

''Slice them up?'' He nodded as she pursed her lips together. ''Well, I guess that makes some sense.'' He continued with the different jobs. ''And we got two Medjacks, Clint and Jeff.'' He pointed at a blonde boy. ''And Zart, he is the Keeper of the Track-hoes''

''Okay, so which job is going to be mine? I remember Nick saying I need to do my part?''

''Yeah, everyone gets a job, we let every Greenie try out for the jobs, when you've tried them all, the council decides.''

Grace was woken up early the next morning, Nick standing besides her, placing a finger on his lips to indicate to be quiet as he nodded into the other direction. She followed him to one of the Maze walls, looking at the names on the wall. ''What's this?''

''We call it the wall of the Gladers.'' He passed her a knife as she frowned, taking it from him as she looked at the names. ''Why are some of them crossed out?''

''Dark days ... Not everyone made it.'' 

Days passed and Grace fell into the Glade's routine pretty easily. She had tried out for all the jobs and she had been chosen as a Medjack by Clint. She had a few patients through the day. The first one was one of the Slicers, a boy called Dave had cut himself deep enough for small stitches on his finger. ''It's honestly impressive that you can cut yourself that deep.'' She spoke as she worked on the stitches on his finger. ''Well, you should try working there, you'll be surprised how easy it is.''

''I did work there.''

''For a day, that doesn't count.''

''I guess, but it did help to distract you.'' She had just finished the last stitch as she cut through the cord. ''You should be good to go.'' Jeff came over for a quick look, nodding at the two. ''Jepp, perfect. You're all set.''

''Thanks guys.'' He waved at them before leaving the hut as Grace went to organize the medical equipment she used.

Two other Gladers came in just before lunch and so both Clint and Jeff were busy when Newt came in, holding onto his wrist with a painful look on his face. ''Newt, are you okay?''

''I tripped over some stupid vines in the Maze and landed on my wrist.'' He held up his hand for her as she grabbed onto it, seeing the bruising around it, softly rubbing over the spots with her thumb. ''Well, you're lucky, it isn't broken, probably sprained.''

''Hop on, I'll get the supplies.'' She tapped on the bed as he got up, watching the girl walk to the supplies and get out bandages. ''Okay, here's some ice, hold that on top of it.'' He did as he was told while Grace grabbed bandages. ''You'll need to ice your wrist to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every three to four hours for two to three days, or until the pain is gone.'' He nodded as she lifted the ice from the spot, compressing the wrist with a bandage. ''And rest your wrist for at least 48 hours. Oh, and elevate your wrist above your heart, on a pillow or the back of a chair as often as you can, it helps with swelling.''

''Okay, so, icing, rest and elevating it?'' Grace nodded, standing awkwardly in her spot as the boy looked at her. ''You're pretty good at this, I guess they made the right choice for you.'' A smile covered her face as he looked up. ''Hey, it's almost lunch time, do you wanna join me and my friends for lunch today?''

''Oh, uhm, yeah, sure?'' He led her to the kitchens as she looked at Jeff and Clint, who just nodded at her, giving a silent acceptance for her to leave. 

''Hey Newt, how's the wrist?''

''Got lucky, just sprained.'' She sat down next to Newt as Frypan put a plate down for each of them. ''Thanks Fry.''

''It's the first time since arriving that you've been in my kitchen, she-bean. What made you change your mind?'' She pointed at the Brit next to her. ''Well, he invited me over, so, yeah, why not?''

''Oh, does someone have a crush?''

''What? No, shucking hell!'' Newt exclaimed with his eyes wide in horror, his cheeks pink from blushing. ''I was just bein' friendly!''

''Right...'' He dragged out the 't' as he and Minho looked at each other, snickering at Newt's face. Grace glanced between the two, noticing that her own cheeks were heating up as Alby interrupted them. ''Alright, leave them alone.'' Frypan snickers as he flicked his fingers to Newt's head, the boy turning around with a warning look on his face as Grace quickly turned back to her food.

Minho and Alby fell back into the conversation, but Newt and Grace kept staring at anything different but the other, Frypan had turned both of them into a awkward mess.

''Hey, Grace!'' Minho snapped his fingers in her face as she grabbed onto his hand, lifting an eyebrow as she stared at him. ''Do that again, and you'll lose a hand.''

''Geez, you're scary.''

''Thanks.''

''Anyway, I was asking if you were going to join us for dinner too?''

''Oh, uhm, sure, if you guys are okay with that?''

''Of course we are, Shuckface.'' He glanced at the other two on the table. ''You're welcome to sit with us any time, as long as I keep my hand.''

She chuckled as she nodded. ''Aright, thanks guys.'' 

The very first chapter of this book and I cannot wait to start with the rest of this book. If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote, comment and add this book to your reading list to stay updated of when I post! See you on Saturday!

-X Violet's-library