Chapter 9

I play with the two rings in my hands

I play with the two rings in my hands. One is slightly bigger than the other, and I curiously put the smaller one on my right hand's middle finger. It fits perfectly. So I let it stay there. I realise my scent is slowly fading away. The ring is working well.

That is when I hear a little shuffling sound from the cell and take a sharp turn to look behind me. I spot that the commoner has moved a bit, just enough for the light to reach his face, and now I can finally see how he looks.

...I thought commoners were ugly, that they looked tired and plain. But the person in front of me is far from plain.

Without realising, I am looking at his face, observing his features, wondering how a mere commoner like him has developed such features. There are wounds and cuts scattered everywhere on his face but still... I flinch when he stirs in his sleep, and his eyes open slowly. But his attention is on the hay beneath him.

I make no sound but compose myself to look strict and serious. I take a deep breath and continue staring at him. As he opens his eyes, I see how weak he looks. He blinks several times and doesn't raise his head. It seems that he is too tired even to move. Finally, I build up my courage and clear my throat.

His head jerks in my direction. Fear is written all over his face. I bite my inner cheeks as I look at his feared expressions. He doesn't say anything. He doesn't move but looks at me in fear that leaks out from his eyes and expressions. I guess he's scared of me.

"Uh... I- I wanted to talk with you." I dumbly say. Don't know what else to say. It's not like I can say, nice to meet you. Hi, how are doing?

He audibly gulps and nods. He moves his terribly chapped lips and tries to say something, but nothing comes out.

"Water," I mumble. "Guards! Bring some water!" I call out. The guy flinches as I speak louder. I hear footsteps of the guard who's by the door. He walks to me, but without water. He eyes the person in the cell and me. Then furrows his eyebrows.

"Why are you going to give him water, your highness? He doesn't deserve it." the guard speaks with a venomous voice, not against me but against the commoner.

"Do as I said. Plus, who told you to do this? I heard the order came from my father that this commoner should be prisoned for the rest of his life with hard labour but NOT without water." I give him a big glare. He is lost for words and quickly bows. He runs out of the door and comes back instantly with a wooden bowl of water in his hands.

"Give it to him," I order.

The guard uses a key and opens the cell. He walks in and gives the bowl. And the commoner takes it with shaky hands. I assume it is because of the harsh treatments he received from this particular guard. The guard walks out and closes the door. He looks at my state, how I am seated on the floor and quickly grabs a chair from aside and respectfully asks me to sit on it. And I do.