Chapter 38

Joss got convicted of treason and was to be executed

Joss got convicted of treason and was to be executed. But I stopped my father from doing so and banished him to Kingdom Neopatras. While that, Prince Plowden forgave Joss and took him in.

The last time I heard... Neopatras was in chaos because of the news that the Crowned Prince was in love with a criminal.

I sip on my soup as I glance at my parents. I look at Bright to find him silently chewing on some bread. Even his breathing's extremely silent. Well, it's not like I am any different. I am extra careful with my actions because I know my parents didn't call us here for no reason. They probably have something important to talk about. Either about what happened or about the future of the kingdom.

"Now we got to talk." my father breaks the ice.

I feel a chill down my spine. I am not sure why I am feeling scared. I hope it isn't anything bad.

"A-about?" I ask as if I am clueless.

"A few things." he clears his throat. "About everything." he glances at my mother.

"Yeah. We want to clear some things up. Your father and I discussed a lot and took this decision." my mother says.

I nod and keep away my utensils. Bright sits straight, looking feared to be seated with the royal family for dinner.

"I want you to attend tomorrow's official meeting with me. It's going to be the first one after the treason. All the noblemen are newly selected by me. I have a few changes to make. So... I hope you will attend." my father says.

"Oh. Yes. Of course, I will attend." I reply.

"Another thing. Viscountess Tontawan's parents aren't quite on good terms with us. So your mother will leave the palace tomorrow to clear things up. Also, I paid attention to one of your said proposals. I will work on the water cleansing project."

"That sounds good. I am glad you gave a chance to my idea, your highness." I say with a bright smile.

Then we continue eating as they don't say anything else. I feel disappointed because they didn't say a word about the throne. Who will succeed in the future? The fact they didn't bring that up only meant that they are still pending about it.

~.~

The next morning.

I balance my crown on my head and stare at my reflection in distaste.

"Heyy. Don't be like that." Bright stands next to me, and I see his reflection in the mirror. I half-heartedly smile at his reflection and shake my head.

"I am pretty much useless. I don't think they'll let me succeed to the throne. My nineteenth birthday is in four days. I am old enough, but I still feel useless. This attire and crown mean nothing. No power or anything." I say with a sullen voice.