Chapter 31

Prince's hand clutches at my sleeve as he stares at the blood pool and the dead body in horror

Prince's hand clutches at my sleeve as he stares at the blood pool and the dead body in horror. His eyes jump from the blood to the slit-opened throat of the lady.

"You can't cry," I whisper to Prince, gently holding his upper arm. I don't hug him because people have already gathered around us. And I want Prince to look strong, unshaken by this incident.

The crowd parts when Knight Jirawat and Knight Hirunkit come in. Knight Jirawat looks at the dead body with a raised eyebrow while the other gets down and examines the body, confirming the death and looking for clues.

"Bright- she's dead," Prince whispers to me in disbelief.

"I know. But- you can't cry now. Hold on there. Act strong for now." I whisper back.

He nods, understanding what I mean. He clutches my sleeve harder and looks at Dew, who's already looking at us.

"I-" Prince clears his shaky voice. "-I want all the witnesses of the body to remain where they are. Knight Jirawat will take care of the interrogations, and Knight Hirunkit will take care of the body. Inform Viscountess Tontawan's family about the death, and don't let the news surpass the palace walls yet. I want everyone to cooperate with me." he bravely hides his wavering self and gives orders.

Knight Jirawat and Hirunkit bows, taking the orders, and others remain where they are whispering in hushed voices.

"Meet me when it's done." Prince further orders them and turns to walk away. Knight Hirunkit nods at me, giving permission for my silent request to follow Prince. When I do, I find him walking out of the nearest balcony door to the balcony.

"I was really happy about today. But it's all gone," he says, knowing I am listening. "Everyone saw that you are my partner, the dance and the night... they all went well. Even my parents were impressed by your skills. But- a dear sister of mine is dead, and I can't help but feel like it's all my fault."

"Your highness cannot say that. We don't know the reason behind this murder yet." I walk to him and hug him from behind. He leans on my chest with a weak sigh.

"Don't you think... the murderers are the ones who left the hall early? The ones you saw..." he asks.

"I was thinking the same... I should've been more careful."

"You were worried about us. Let's figure this out when Dew and Nani return."

"Okay. But till then, why don't your highness rest a bit? We can go to your chambers and have a little nap. Right? You don't have to sleep. Just rest."

"Mmh... okay."

I take Prince's hand and lead him out of the balcony. We walk to his room which is only a few feet from where we were. Once we are inside the room, I remove the dirty sheet from before and make him lie on the sheet beneath for now. He lies there without a word, ripe as a tomato with all the compact feelings inside.

So I sit next to him and keep my hand on his eyes, making him shut-close them.

"Do you want to cry? We are alone now." I whisper.

"I want to solve this first. Hug me later when I cry- I am too sad. I don't know what to do- she- she won't ever be with us. She won't be there to make fun of me or to claim you as hers. She won't be there to flirt with plenty of men and help me-" tears one by one leaves his eyes, and he quickly wipes them.

I caress his hair, and he closes his eyes again. After a few minutes of sobbing and mumbling things about the Viscountess, Prince fell asleep due to fatigue and exhaustion. I get his blanket and cover him to his chest. I brush his bangs, and just then, there's a knock on the door. I quickly walk to the door as I don't want Prince to wake up.

When I open the door, I find Knight Hirunkit and Jirawat outside. I bow to pay respect and move out of the way so they can walk in.

"Oh. Prince fell asleep?" Knight Jirawat asks.

"Yes, commander. He was exhausted."

"Alright. Drop the formalities for now. We have things to discuss. And we should wake him up." Knight Hirunkit says. I don't feel like doing it, but since I know I should, I walk to Prince's side and gently shake him awake. He wakes up after a few nudges, and he looks at the two commanders with sleepy eyes.

"OH. I didn't mean to fall asleep. Did you wait too long?" he asks, cutely rubbing his eyes.

"No, your highness. Just arrived. We are done with the interrogations and investigations." Knight Jirawat says. "We are here to report some things."

"Alright. Go on." Prince says, properly sitting on the bed, and I listen too.

"I questioned the first witnesses, and they knew nothing particularly. They only found the body of the Viscountess, no more than that. But one server from the ballroom has seen her leave the ballroom near the end of the occasion. She had looked a bit- pissed off about something. That's all I was able to get." Knight Jirawat says.

"Okay. What about you?" Prince asks Knight Hirunkit.

"This." he shows a tiny blue feather. "I found this feather on Viscountess's dress. I have a hunch this might belong to the murderer because Viscountess wore a dark pink dress with no trace of the colour blue. It confirms that the murderer was one of the guests of the masquerade ball who wore a blue mask," he says.

Prince draws out a shaky breath upon hearing the words of both of them. Then he looks at me.

"We'll have to add something too, then," he mutters. "Bright has seen three guests leaving the ballroom during my mother's speech. Was one wearing blue?" he asks.

I recall the sight my eyes held and shook my head, "They were all wearing dark attires. Not blue." I confirm.

"This is sea blue," Prince mumbles, and he frowns. "I recall a few wearing blues, but... this searching is going to be so complicated." he sighs.

"Don't worry, your highness. Hirunkit and I will do our best to interrogate the ballroom servers about the guests who wore blue." Knight Jirawat claims. "Also, it seems the murderer has snuck in a small weapon because the slit was very deep but small. A sword cannot do that. I believe a servant's responsible for this as well."

"Alright. Interrogate them, and I'll see what I can do." Prince dismisses them.

"Yes, your highness." the two turn to leave only to be called by Prince again.

"Dew, what about the second investigation of the noblemen?"

"My spies are on it, your highness. We will report soon."

Everyone guessed right🥲😤

-Sunshine👑