Chapter 36

Just then, I hear a whizzing sound in the air

Just then, I hear a whizzing sound in the air. I assume it's Bright, but it comes from a balcony. Baron sky gets hit on his neck and falls to the ground dead. We look at the balcony, only to find my personal maid, Prim, holding a bow and smiling at her victory.

"Aarh!" Tawan yells in anger. "Joss, kill that wench for the better!" he orders Joss.

Trust me when I say it's the most painful thing to witness. My best friend looks at me in guilt. Then he bows his head to my enemy and takes his order. He sprints toward the stairway, and my eyes widen as I look back at Prim. She looks frightened.

"Prim! Run! Run!! Fast! Go!" I yell while blocking another sword slash. I see that Prim's shaken by fear and frozen right where she is. And I see my best friend running toward her with his sword.

That sight makes my anger take the best out of me.

"Joss you betraying piece of shit!!" I scream till my throat hurts. Then I grab my hidden knife from my shoe within a second, uncap it and throw it toward Joss. The knife whizzes through the air, and Joss turns in the knife's direction. His eyes widen in fear, and it slices through his right chest, pinning him against the corridor's wall.

I feel weak on my knees at that sight, and I know I can't handle this any longer. Bright has managed to kill two noblemen, but still, we are outnumbered by three. And all that has happened is too much for me. I want this whole chaos to stop.

When I really think everything's over and there's no more hope of winning... two more arrows whizz past me and hit two noblemen to death.

When I turn in that direction, I find my father and his personal guard holding two bows. Amid all the mess, my father flashes a smile at me. It isn't a smile I get from him every day. I don't get it at all. It isn't a regular smile. He has never given me that smile. It's a smile of proudness. His smile screams, 'Win, I am so proud of you. You've worked so hard.'

And I feel a bit emotional.

But I take that opportunity to thrust my sword into the hip of the nobleman next to me. Bright does another kill, leaving only Duke Tawan still standing on his feet, without even a bruise on his face.

"Give up, Tawan." my father says.

"Yes. Give up." I point my sword at Duke Tawan, but he only chuckles.

"Give up? No way. When I came today, I promised myself two things, little Prince." he smiles at me. "Either the throne! Or your head!!" saying that he charges at me at full speed that I lose my balance, and my sword goes flying.

He takes the chance to grab me by my neck and pull me against his chest. As I struggle in his hold and try to squirm out, he holds his sword against my throat. Then he steps back.

I can see Bright's fearful expression as he stares at us with feared eyes.

"Don't do anything to the prince!!" he quickly yells.