Chapter 14

Joss is cunning

Joss is cunning.

He walks to the underground dungeon before me and asks me to hide behind a wall. After a while, he comes out but not alone, with ALL the guards following him from behind! He winks at me before walking in the other direction, leaving me as shocked as ever.

How the hell did he take all the guards out of the dungeon? Even me, being the prince, cannot do that! I should probably master his cunning skills.

I quickly whip my head and look in all directions to make sure no one's around, to make sure I am not being watched. As I am sure, I slip through the door and quickly grab a flame stick from the wall. I carefully walk down the swirly stairway, lighting my path with the stick. Once I am on the ground, I go in the direction that I remember where Bright's cell is.

I open the door to the separate corridor and enter, hanging the flame stick on a hook on the wall. Then I walk to the second cell where Bright is and peek in. He is inside, and he's not asleep :)

He has his back turned to me as he is doing something with the hay. He rustles and moves them as if making something with them.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

He gets startled and jumps to his feet. When he sees that it's me, he looks down at his feet. So I take my time and eye him up and down. He looks different from when I first saw him. The golden colour of his skin has been replaced with a pale white, and he seems weaker than before.

"Your highness, did you find the lost ring?" he asks in his hoarse voice that sounds terrible.

"What ring?" I ask.

"The one, your highness's maid, came looking for every night."

"Wha- O-oh, yeah. Yeah, yeah. I found that... ring!" I awkwardly blab. "Umm... what were you doing?" I ask.

"Oh... I- I was making a doll." he leans down and grabs something that looks like a messy little doll with hay hands, legs and a little body. He holds it so I can see it. I put my hand through the bars and take it. It's quite wet and dirty, but it looks cute.

"Is it done?" I ask.

"Not yet, your highness. I just started. But there are some finished ones." he says. He gets three more hay dolls from the ground and shows me.

"WoAh. Can I have one?"

"Y-yeah... but they are dirty," he says.

"But they look nice," I say. Then I carefully sit on the floor, neatening my robe afterwards.

"There's a chair behind you, your highness." Bright points at the chair behind me.

"Oh, it's okay. This feels better. Sit." I point at the ground. Bright obliges and sits on the floor in front of me, the bars separating us.

"Umm.. give me one finished doll." I point at the finished dolls. Bright quickly takes the three and hands them all to me. I take all three and select a nice one. Then I give back the rest to him.