Chapter 25 (m)

It turns out to be better than I thought

It turns out to be better than I thought. Bright's mother and I talk till it's time for lunch and Bright and his father come right on time. We have lunch together, talking about this and that, and I feel myself warming up to them.

Since we have a few hours after lunch, Bright takes me outside. He doesn't take me to the village because it won't be good to be seen by other people as he's supposed to be in prison. So he takes me to the nearby forest that is so out of my taste, but after walking a bit, I start loving how new it feels.

I thought it would only be walking around, but my eyes shine when I see a waterfall ahead of us.

"We can't swim, but we can sit here." Bright clear out a small rock for me and ask me to sit. He sits beside me, and we enjoy the water for a while.

"You never swim here?" I ask.

"I did. The current is bad today. See, the water turns into mist there, and fish have gathered by that calm area." he points out, and I see a bunch of colourful fish by a corner who look alert.

I hum and close my eyes for a while to feel droplets of water caressing my face. It feels nice to feel the cold breeze against my face. I wanted to stay longer, but Bright insists that I would get sick. So we leave. We walk around the fields and woods till it's time for dinner and return to his home. We get welcomed by his mother at the dining table, and she says that Bright's father has already had dinner and left for the bakery.

"It's open during the night?" I ask, taking the seat beside Bright.

"No, your highness. Our house isn't warm enough for the three of us to sleep during cold weather. So only Bright stays here during this time of the year." she admits.

I look around the house and notice there isn't a fireplace, and it isn't sealed either. So how can Bright be in this cold place?

"Mother, don't you think it's better to send Prince to the bakery tonight? It's better and warmer there." Bright says.

"But home is safer, Bright. I'll leave extra blankets, okay?" she asks.

"Yeah, that would be better. I'll stay here with him." I say. (A/N:😏)

So after dinner, Bright's mother leaves for the bakery with a carrier lamp in her hands. Bright closes the door and locks it, and I feel a bit cold.

"I'll tuck you in bed so you won't feel cold," he says. I try to insist that I want to stay awake longer, but he pushes me to his small room that only has a wardrobe, a table and a relatively big bed.

"So you never got to sleep with your parents in the same house?" I ask, untying my boots. I put them aside and sit on his bed.

"They sleep in the living room when the weather is warmer. But for more than half the year, we have a cold climate. So yeah, I sleep alone most of the days." Bright replies. He takes one blanket from the pile and covers me with that. I feel comfortable and sink into his pillows, breathing in the wood and sugary scents in the air.