Chapter 21

There is a knock on the door, and I walk to see who it is

There is a knock on the door, and I walk to see who it is. I open it to find maid Prim there, looking like she had worked all day.

"Prince Metawin is expecting you," she says.

"I thought Prince was busy," I say.

"He is. He was. For the last three days. He had several meetings with some officers, and they were a mess."

"Messy... as in?"

She sighs, "It's weird and unfair, alright? The officers didn't take him seriously. He's a royal, yeah, a prince, yeah, but you get it... It's all about class and rank in this world."

"God. How bad was it?" I ask, quickly taking out the door's key and walking out with her. I lock the door from outside.

"So bad... Whatever Prince said, they had something against it. His highness was trying to discuss about the shortage of clean water in two districts, but the officers were saying this and that on how it's only a small issue."

"What bullshit," I mumble.

"Exactly. It was quite a war zone. There wasn't anyone to take his side, but Prince handled it quite well. As usual. He's so great."

We walk in the corridor to who knows where.

"I am afraid he might doubt his capability if this continues." Prim shows her concern.

"He won't... I hope so. Honestly, the more people piss him off, the more he finds it interesting."

"Indeed."

"But didn't... didn't the king do anything about the meeting?" I ask.

"He wasn't there... plus, he won't. You know about the unspoken rules in the palace. One should always stand up for themselves. But it isn't the same for you. If Prince could help you out of this situation, he would've. He only wants you to stand up yourself because then others won't have a thing to say against you." she explains.

We come to a stop in front of a room. Prim slowly opens the door and ushers me inside. It is a dimly lit room that has the scent of rustiness of books and coffee aroma lingering in the air.

At one corner, there's a flame flickering to a rhythm. There at the table, I see Prince Metawin, with books surrounding him. He doesn't see nor hear us. So I walk toward him.

"Prince," I call him.

His attention shifts to me. He looks tired.

"It feels like forever since I saw you." he smiles.

"Yeah... It feels like forever." I repeat his words and smile back.

He pulls a chair next to him and pats it. I get the hint and sit there, looking at him and the paperwork and books.