Chapter 16

Warning: Long-awaited surprise ahead😃

"Where's Bright?" I ask as we step out to the garden

"He's by the bench already. But before you go, I wanted to ask. Why did you specifically ask maid Prim to keep an eye on your room before we came?" he asks.

"Oh. Actually, since I didn't have anything to do yesterday, I made a small plan. All the paperwork is in my room, and I don't want anyone to see them." I admit.

"Okay... But why did you make a sudden plan like that?"

"I-I am planning to talk with my parents tomorrow. Sooner the better, right?" I ask.

"Uh-huh. I think so. Are you also planning to talk with them about Bright?"

"Not yet."

"Then, when?"

"I don't know. When I am sure about him, I guess." I shrug in distress.

The chances of my parents agreeing with my idea of letting me prove myself capable of the throne is low. And with that, their accepting Bright is low as well. So I might have to delay talking about Bright for another time, but it seems unfair for both him and me.

I wave goodbye to Joss and make my way to the entrance of the labyrinth garden. I look around to make sure no one's there and slip inside. I walk on the same route we used the day before yesterday and find Bright waiting for me at the same place, seated on the bench and drifting off to sleep.

Looking at him, I feel a tightness in my heart.

Am I doing the right thing?

He already likes me, and I... I find him attractive for now. But... he's a peasant when I am a prince. He's just a commoner when I come from the royal family. I feel like I am leading him, giving him hope when I don't even know when this fiasco will come to an end.

I am not even sure if my parents will agree with either of the two ideas. They will get so mad at me. And what if they arrange another marriage for me with a prince who would accept me for the territory of my kingdom? All these plans will be in vain.

I walk toward the bench and wave my hand in front of Bright, but he doesn't react. He's completely out of this world. So I silently sit next to him and sigh. I really wish someone was there to tell me what I should do next if my decisions are right or wrong. Or if I am doing all this for nothing.

I feel Bright moving next to me, so I check if he's awake. But he's only moving in his sleep before slowly leaning and resting his head on my shoulder. It gives me a thousand goosebumps. I freeze. What the-

I poke his cheek to wake him up, but he doesn't. So I try my best to stay in the same position without squirming like a worm. And it's a bit... strange to have him leaning on me. Like, not a bad kind of strange, but a good kind that makes my heart feel tingles. Am I getting a heart attack?