Chapter 30 (m++)

After the masquerade ball, I walk out of the ballroom, tired as ever

After the masquerade ball, I walk out of the ballroom, tired as ever. Bright joins me, looking a bit preoccupied. So I ask why.

"During the Queen's speech, three people left the ballroom when there's no reason to do so. They came only after the ball was over," he explains.

"You should've gone after them," I say.

"I can't risk your safety. Not even once." he sternly says.

"Hah. It's fine. The event is over, and father's not in danger. I will go to my room. Can you make your way to Knight Jirawat or Hirunkit and inform one of them about the occurrence?" I ask.

"Yes, your Highness. I will be on that." Bright leaves as we are near my room. So I walk inside and ask Prim to check the surroundings for anything suspicious. I also send a few extra guards to guard the chambers of the guests who are spending the night in the palace.

I change into my night attire, and Bright comes after a while, changed into his soldier attire.

"Why are you like that?" I ask.

"I am guarding your highness's chambers tonight," he says.

"What? What happened to my usual guard?" I ask.

"I am extra. It's okay. I asked for it." he admits.

"Tsk. You don't have to do that, you know. And I am not scared. I am far from scared about my safety, to be honest. I know they won't aim at me. Because right now, dead or not, I am pretty much useless for them."

"No. Don't say such a thing. Your Highness's safety is important to me." he says, and I spread my arms for a hug. He chuckles at my actions and hugs me, and I feel his hard attire against my thin nightwear.

"You look tired, though," I mumble, brushing his soft hair.

"I am not." he lies.

"Shh, you don't have to lie. Sit here." I make him sit on my bed and gently sit on his lap, facing him. "I've wanted to ask you. How did you know to dance?"

"Oh... It might sound weird, but during the festival season in our town, we did a ballroom dance every year. I watched it some time and once or twice danced with a girl," he explains.

"Hmph. You danced with a girl?" I frown.

"Well. Your Highness let Prince Plowden kiss your knuckles twice." he takes my hand and kisses my knuckles twice in return.

"I don't like him now."

"And I didn't like those girls, too," he adds, making me chuckle.

"You jealous, Baker." I peck his lips.

"You jealous, Prince." he pecks my lips.

"Aah. Stop attacking me with my words!" I exclaim.

Bright changes our position in reflex and flops me on my bed. He hovers over me, his knee on the edge of the bed and kisses my lips. I put my arms around him and pull close his head. But I break the kiss when I remember.