XI. The Lovers

___

Rene Magritte

Rene Magritte

1928
_

__

"I FEEL strange." He spoke calmly. "I never had experienced this sort of emotion... Seemed too idealistic to wish to spend so much time in someone's presence, to share completely your life with them." Hannibal reflected, his eyes facing the woodden vlean floor beneath his feet.

"But you don't think the same way anymore." The blonde, charming woman sitting across him spoke.

"I strangely don't."

"And what caused that change?"

"I've met someone." He confessed. "A young woman full of life and energy...she became the first thing I think about when I wake up, and the last one when I go to sleep. I catch myself learning vegeterian recipes to prepare for her even though I find them insipid. And when I find something interesting, specially artistic, she's the first one I want to share my
thoughts with."

"Is she aware of what you feel?"

"No, I don't believe she does, since we treat each other as... friends." He stared at an invisible point across the window. "I've tried to hint what I felt a few times, well, unconsciously, since even I don't know what this is."

"What was her reaction?"

"She hesists, avoids the subject." He made a pause. "But I do believe she might feel...something... as well."

"But not as deep as you."  The doctor realized.

He looked into his colleague cold eyes. "Correct."

"Does that upset you, Hannibal?" Dr. Bedelia Du Maurier questioned her most difficult patient, resting her hands above her lap together.

He crossed his legs in a subtle, quiet act, as he observed with serenity the window. A thin rain fell from the fret misty sky.

"I don't believe I would describe it as 'upset'..." he thought for a moment. "Since I didn't...give up, in the situation."

"You want to make her to feel the same." Bedelia analyzed. "You can't force someone to develop feelings for you Hannibal, you're aware of that."

"I certainly am." He quickly responded in order not to be misunderstood. "I do not have the intentions to create any emotions...But I do want to evolve them." He rephrased. "Before I met her, I'd never expect to feel something for someone like her. She was the type of person I'd rather distance myself from." He realized, with his hands holding each other, Alice's image vivid inside his mind "But now I can't imagine my life without her." He looked at the doctor. "Do you believe this is normal?"