XVIII.The Morning Sun

_____

Harold Knight1913_____

Harold Knight
1913
_____

THE coffee was bitter and hot, the hospital's hallways were quiet as ghosts, and Alice Graham had just visited her brother's room when she visualized her husband's text message. "They found her, the dragon's muse, she is recovering now. We just interrogated her, I'll be a bit busy this afternoon so I'll only be able to call you later, send Blanche a hug for me."

She didn't reply with much enthusiasm, perhaps because her soul was conflicted about her feelings' true nature. A battle between reason and sensations tore her apart as she watched her daughter draw with one of the crayons she found inside the leather pencil case. Banche was somewhat clumsy in her sketches, but they were better elaborated than an average child's, and the new present sent by "Mommy's friend", made her even brighter and more enthusiastic than ever.

That's when she heard them, the doctors murmuring in low gossip about the recent patient called Reba, who was attacked by a dangerous serial killer. Their talks reminded her of when she came back from Europe and the news was all about Hannibal's journey in Europe "the cannibal's wife, an evil mind or a suffering innocent?" She could see that same look in those doctors' eyes now, the same look people had when she tried to pack her stuff and leave Hannibal's house at the time: judgment.

"Room 25 yeah, she's gonna be alright though, she got out of the house just in time before the smoke filled her lungs." One of them said.

"Hella lucky, I've had patients who couldn't last 2 hours after a fire like that." Another replied.

Alice tried to drift away from the conversation and focus on her daughter sitting by her side, she seemed to be attempting to draw a rainbow only with a grey crayon now. "That's too somber, Blan." Alice chuckled. "A rainbow is supposed to have many colors, not just one."

"Mommy!"The little brunette rolled her dolly like eyes."You need psective!"

"I need what?"

"Psective!"

Alice furrowed her eyebrows again thinking. "You mean...perspective?" The girl nodded, and Alice smiled. "Oh...wow, okay... got it."

Blanche then ignored her and continued to draw meticulously, as Alice found funny her daughter's young but surprising attitude. One of the thoughts that came to her mind made her whole body shiver and paralyze, she instinctively touched the necklace she wore, taking in a deep trembling breath, trying to gain strength.

"And she's blind." A doctor continued. "Her survival was a blessing."

"You can say that again."Another agreed.

"Wait, s o you mean she fell for the Tooth Fairy because of his personality? Like, not because she was her type or anything?" One of them said surprised.