IV. The Trial

___

Sidney Nolan1947___

Sidney Nolan
1947
___

"YOU seem nervous." A voice made him turn around, facing a familiar person.

"I thought you were watching the trial."

"Couldn't stay there just watching." Alice Mallory ran her hands through her hair, her energy was completely drawn by seeing Will being attacked by those people, treated as a criminal.

"I know what you mean." Jack Crawford agreed, just as stressed as she was. "Still doesn't feel right."

"I don't think it ever will." She pondered, playing with the button of the dark blue blazer she wore.

He glanced at the girl who seemed completely broken to watch her friend's destruction. Alice Mallory could be one of the victims' sister, but that didn't mean she instantly blamed Will, yet, she still wanted to believe in him. And that was something that made him reflect a lot on his testimony at that trial.

"Where's Hannibal?" He asked, noticing she was not accompanied for once. Since she started dating him, they wouldn't be seen separated much.

"Still in there." She pointed to the door with her head. "He's much stronger than I am." She commented, realizing how scared she ws to hear the veredictum of that day.

The agent wasn't one to show his soft side, specially towards Alice Mallory, but at that moment, she was in a situation just as bad as him, and that made him feel a bit of empathy towards her. "Miss Mallory." He suddenly said. "If there's someone strong in this court, it's you. So don't say that." He said serious, without letting his though posture disappear. "Don't let it get to your head."

▫️

Jack Crawford had just gave his testimony, and, for the FBI's surprise, he took partially the blame for Will Graham's failures and crimes. The game wasn't over yet, but that certainly changed the trial's direction.

Alice Mallory sat on one of the chair's of Hannibal's office, staring at the portrait she gave him on the wall. The colors hipnotized her for a second as her mind wandered to a place far away from where she was.

"A penny for your thoughts." Her boyfriend ried to make her laugh, but Alice remained serious. "Is something bothering you, darling?"

Alice sighed, as he squated on the ground next to her, holding delicately her cold hand.

"I was thinking about Will." She confessed.

"You must be worried about him." Hannibal declared.

"What Jack did...at the trial...it made me think a lot about what I should say in my turn." Alice blinked twice, her mind working nonstop. "His words were poweful enough to change the sentence's direction, what if mine are too?"