XV.A Girl with a Dead Canary

____

Jean-Baptiste Greuze1765____

1765
____

IT WAS at that grey sky day that destiny decided to play a cruel game in order to make two people meet again. To make him bump into her again. "Sorry...-wait, Alice?" His charming smile met her sight.

"...Taye?" She asked surprised. What was the last time she has seen him? Right, when Colin left. That thought just made her even more upset. Her brother didn't appear, didn't give any news, didn't even call on her birthday. That was it, he had forgotten her, forever. "What are you doing here?"

He standed his arms, showing the place they were: the expensive supermarket with fresh products on the beige to white shelves and minucious lightning. "Buying cereal?"

She gave a half smile. He couldn't help but notice she was a bit more...uncolored than the last time he saw her. "Right, I forgot you shop here."

"Is it bad that we bump into each other like this?" He spoke playfully, lifting one of his eyebrows. "Should we un-bump?" Alice sniffed finding him funny as always.

"No...it's alright, I guess." She looked down at the cast she carried, some red fruits for the ice cream Hanninal planned to make to her, a way to lift up her mood. Alice's eyes softned, moving to Taye's shiny ones for a second. "Is-"

"Nadira said they are doing good." Taye could understand it at once just by her expression. Alice nodded quietly, unable not to show her sadness. "But I think he misses you...y'know?"

She gave a bitter smile shaking her head. "I wish that was true. But it isn't. Colin hates me."

"Ah, come on, he can't really hate you." He tried to change her mind. "I'm sure it's just a misunderstandment."

"You are just being nice...I should've told him...I...I only wanted things to work out first, you know? No one was supposed to know about me and Hannibal that way." Taye nodded quietly. Alice gave a weak smile. "You must think I'm a terrible sister."

"No, no." He waved with his hands. "Seriously, from what Colin told us, you were not just a sister, you were a mother to him." He said sweetly, Alice tried to feel better by remembering the past, caught herself missing the feel of having baby Colin in her arms, listen to him pronounce 'bwee!' as his first word, she remembered how she felt at the time, offended by not being her name instead, but also so mesmerized and blessed to hear him speak. She almost cried. "Fights happen, but family is forever." Taye touched her shoulder, Alice smiled to him.

He was kind, maybe similar to her in some way. A very tall, handsome man who cared about his cousin as his own sister. That was Taye Caddel.

"You never told me about you and Nadira. How you became so close." Alice said as they headed to the cashier. "If it doesn't bother you, of-"