VI.The Elevation of the Cross

____

Peter Paul Rubens1610____

Peter Paul Rubens
1610
____

He arrived with a windy and chilly weather, Jack Crawford was on their doorstep completely destroyed, crumbled into pieces. Never during the time Alice Mallory has known him she has ever seen Jack so beated up that way.

When he entered and sat by the table he was awfully silent, didn't reprove any of Alice's attitudes, he was only silent, sometimes muttering to Hannibal, who had also just woken up with her, using the red sweather she bought him and the hair loose, the bangs falling down like dominoes above his hazel eyes.

Hannibal's voice was serene, attempting to calm the agent about his concerns about his wife as Jack nodded from time to time still a bit oblivious, distracted, staring at the window.

"Lissy, darling, breakfest is ready." Hannibal called her, as she entered quietly in the kitchen.

"Um..is it okay for me to stay, or should I-" she whispered to her partner.

"It's okay Miss Mallory." Jack replied instead, sitting by the table. "It's your house after all. Join us."

She forced a smile and sat by Hannibal's side across Jack. She didn't know what to do in that situation though, she barely knew what happened to his wife, actually, just discovered that Jack had a wife.

"Sorry for coming in so early." The agent said, tasting Hannibal's early breakfest meat. "I just...couldn't sleep right."

"It is no issue at all." Hannibal told him.

"I believe..." Crawford sighed "...you already know the situation." He was talking to Alice.

She exchanged glances with Hannibal, confused weather to say something or just stay silent. Either way Jack said it himself "My wife, Bella...has cancer." It seemed hard for him to speak, and when Alice heard it she felt a deep sadness take over her chest.

"My God...I'm...I'm so sorry..." Alice muttered in an empathic tone, as Jack nodded with his head thanking the gesture.

"She thought that she could beat the competition against it by...ending it herself." He swallowed dry. "If Dr.Lecter wasn't there, I can't even..."

Alice instinctively reached for his hand at the table, holding it gently. She used to hate Jack Crawford for what he forced Will to do, but seeing that man so broken, vulnerable in front of her, made Alice realize he was just a man also struggling with his own demons. A man filled with flaws that fought everyday to fix them, like fighting against sea waves on a beach.

Jack on the other way didn't take her hand off or run away as she expected, he gave a small smile, as he thanked her. Hannibal only watched as Alice once again used her kindness in order to comfort others, even the ones she despised. It wasn't pity, but a genuine caring that only she was able to provide.