Chapter 2 - The Restaurant

Lauren's POV

3pm

After my near-death experience that may or may not have been partially my fault (not that i'm ever going to admit that out loud) , i went to my Child development class and i was finally done with school for the day . i don't have to be at work until 5 today so i spent the next hour in the library organizing my notes and studying for my next exam. My dream was to be a licensed child psychologist with a focus on trauma and sexual abuse . Right now, i also worked as a clinical psychology intern and i have a few patients of my own but i wasn't quite at my goal yet .

I knew of way too many children who have been molested and while i would love nothing more than to burn the Sexual assaulters to a crisp , i want my contribution to the world to be focused on helping those children who had their lives and innocence striped from them by disgusting creatures.

I think people spend a lot of time making excuses or trying to put the rapist behind bars (which is important even though death would be my choice if i were a jury ) but many people forget to help the actual survivor of the assault. Notice how i didn't say victim .

       There are too many children who have been assaulted and then soon forgotten and left to deal with that trauma and pain alone and i hope to do something about that demographic even if it just helps one child . Every child's life is worth saving . 
So yea, i hate waking up early, siting through boring lectures and writing pages of notes but i know it'll all be worth it in the end . Even the student loans that break my soul every time i see that due balance .
(a/n literally me in college rn )

Aniyah is a little different from me but we both want to work with children . She goes to NYU and is currently a first year surgical resident, studying to eventually be a pediatric surgeon ( like Arizona Robbins). We met at the Library of Howard University (which is one of the best Historically Black Universities in the country/ Considered the " Black Harvard" with Alumni like Chadwick Boseman , Taraji P. Henson, Kamala Harris and Phylicia Rashad) and we have been inseparable ever since . It just so happened that we both ended up going to grad school in New York City so it worked out perfectly and we have been living together ever since. She's the closest thing i have to family.

(a/N HU -You know !! lol okay sorry i'm done now )

Walking into this soul sucking restaurant, i say hi to my coworkers Ana and Joshua . They were always friendly and made working there so much better . We hung out together at the club a few times but i'm too antisocial to go any further than that.
"Hey guys" i say

Joshua grins at me. His strawberry blonde hair is spiked up and his face is full of glitter. He was a true makeup lover .

"hey Lorde ! Your favorite person in the world is looking for you"
i grimaced not only at that god awful nickname he never seem to let go of but at the fact that i was ganna have to face my manager Nate again. Let's hope i don't loose my job today .
I have to pray every time i walk in here that i don't go crazy and curse him out when he says something sexist , racist or condescending to me .

This 50 year old pasty ass bald headed bitch really wanted the smoke with me as if i won't step outside and show him these hands work . It would be different if he treated everyone like an asshole but he didn't, it was just me and i dared him to fire me for no reason . I would sue so fast my student loans would be paid by tomorrow.

" Don't start Josh . i'm just ganna avoid him and we're ganna have a peaceful day today with no hiccups . I'm just ganna do my time and get the hell out ." trying to convince myself more than him
Ana chuckles
"You Make this place sound like a Jail"
and i shoot her a 'cuz it is' look and walk to the break room .