Chapter 9 - Lauren's Date

Lauren's Pov
(A/N TW ⚠️)

*Flashback to 8 years old*
October 28th

          I woke up to inconsistent beeping. Hospital chairs were never comfortable to sit in let alone sleep and besides , all i wanted to do was lay in bed with my dad. Mom and i have been here everyday -all day for the past 2 weeks and i didn't mind spending time with my dad but i really missed sleeping on a bed and playing with my friends at school .

          After the first few days , i waited for my dad to wake up from his sleep but he never did . I would watch his chest rise and fall - Praying one day he would open his eyes and hug his favorite little girl again. His skin was always pale and cold and he smelled like old people, nothing like his usual warm  and cinnamon-y scented self .

         I glanced over at my mother and wince at the sight of her . My mother was unrecognizable in every sense . Her usual beautiful curls were matted into a messy ponytail, here eyes were bloodshot red from crying , her skin was flushed and irritated and if i'm being honest ...she kinda had a smell

She rarely ate and drank  at least 2 bottles of wine a day  .

            The nurses always made sure i ate and even washed my dad's sweater in the hospital laundry room- it still smelled like him . I pulled the sweater over my knees and tuck them firmly into the chair. I had nothing to do but try my best to drown out the beeping nose of the machine keeping my father alive .

Now i had heard of people dying before but i didn't know what that really meant . Were they just gone for a few days like charging a dead battery? or will i never see them again? My mom said that my grandparents were 'dead' but never actually explained what happens when people die . My dad looks like what i imagine death is like , but i know he would never leave me without saying goodbye .

My dad isn't going to die . My birthday is next week and he promised we would go to the beach and drink hot chocolate.

"Do you want to get some snacks from the vending machine ? My treat." Nurse Jackie interrupts my thoughts and she gives me a small smile .

i don't want to leave my dad

"i'm okay" i am hungry but it is my responsibility to make sure nothing bad happens

"Are you sure ? They have apple juice and blue doritos ..Your favorite."

i'll only be gone for a minute dad

         I decide to take her hand and she leads me the vending machine so i can pick out something .

       Nurse Jackie opens the juice and before i could take a sip, people start running to my dads room

"...HELP HIM PLEASE ..DANIEL DONT LEAVE!! IM NOT READY" My mother's screams frighten me . uh oh .
"Ma'am i need you to step back"
i watch as the room turns into chaos

"..he's coding get a crash cart now!!"
"CHARGE TO 200 ..Clear !!"
"...AGAIN.."
"...CHARGE TO 300 ..clear !!"

the apple juice i was holding drops to the floor and soaks my shoes but i can't peel my eyes away

"..Lauren sweetie ? ..don't we go somewhere else for a..." i tune out Nurse Jackie and all i could look at was my dad .
There were people frantically pushing his chest and my mom was being held back by hospital security.

       Now i know i should be crying like my mom or i probably should've went with nurse Jackie but my body was completely calm , frozen in place . I decide to walk to his room to get a closer look .
"... time of death 9:37 pm.." a random person called out and my body felt heavy inside .
He died ?