The aftermath (Childe's pov)

"W-What? Princess, pleas-" Childe got cut off by Zhongli placing a finger to his lips.

"I understand. Who could ever love someone like me? Who in Teyvat could ever love a monster, a freak, a stripper, a-a broke gold digger? This is for our own good, Childe." Zhongli let a sad smile spread across his face as he took off the bracelet and headed back to his dorm. Childe didn't even have the strength or the will to run after him. He just stood there in pure shock.

C: This - this is all her fault. She is the reason.

Childe hadn't even realized he was crying. Clutching the bracelet closer to his chest, Childe made his way back to his own dorm, lying down on his bed and crying. This isn't right. Zhongli should be the one crying, not him. He hurt Zhongli and he had every right to break up with him. But he couldn't help it. The next few days were him skipping school. News that the two were dating and that they broke up circulated the school faster than the time Ningguang announced she was a lesbian and that no one could stop her. Childe skipped the next few days of school, sulking in his bed. When he finally got back to school, Lumine was the first to approach him.

"I'm so sorry Childe, but hey! I'm here for you!" Lumine dragged him aside before placing a kiss to his lips. Young Childe would have been squealing like a schoolgirl, but Childe just looked at her, showing nothing. The next few days escalated quickly, Lumine somewhat forcing him to be her boyfriend. And yes, it reached the ears of everyone. A few days after the break up, Al'Haitham went up to Childe.

"Childe. I'm not happy with what you did but I will protect him for you." Al'Haitham stated before walking off. Childe felt slightly grateful at this but was soon snapped out of his thoughts by Lumine kissing him.

"Childe~" Lumine sat on his lap, facing him. They were hanging out in Childe's dorm. Childe looked at the girl and his eyes widened.

"Zhongli?" Childe uttered a whisper as the person tilted their head.

"Childe? What was that?" Lumine disrupted his fantasy.

"Nothing, nothing." Childe let her sit there but didn't pay any heed to her. Meanwhile, Zhongli seemed to have barely changed at all. Well, he wasn't as smiley or happy and he never mentioned Childe at all. He also stopped going to their dorm and Albedo stopped seeing Kaeya. It also caused a split between Jean, who was on Childe's side, and Barbara, who was siding with Zhongli. This was in fact, one of the most damaging relationship breakups by far. This whole incident caused a huge split in the school. But Childe just didn't care. What hurt him most, was seeing him with Baizhu, all friendly as if he never harassed him in the first place and Childe didn't come to his rescue. And that Baizhu would later come and rub it in his face.

"Childe!" Lumine ran up to him. He hugged back in reflex before noticing what she was wearing.

"Welcome home, master~" She teased him, tugging on the fishnet tights on the same bunny outfit that Zhongli wore on his birthday. Ignoring her, he took off his shirt and forced it upon her.

"You'll get cold." Childe walked off, going straight to his room to do his homework, ignoring her disappointment. Once alone, Childe banged his head on the table, tears spilling onto the wood.

"YOU'RE SO FUCKING STUPID!" Childe yelled in anguish. He thought that dating Lumine would help him move on but it didn't. In fact, being with her had quite the opposite effect. Everything she did reminded him of Zhongli. His warm smile, how he would laugh at everything, how he let himself be vulnerable to him, there was no way he could ever move on. Lumine, who was outside his room, knew exactly what he was thinking. She would always be a second choice. Even if she had the man she wanted, he didn't want her. Guilt drove her to open his door.

"Childe?" Lumine sat on his bed.

"Yes?" Childe joined her.

"I did set that bet up." Lumine stared at her clenched hands on her lap. She couldn't bring herself to look at his horrified face. "It was selfish of me. I wanted you but there were other more logical solutions than that. I'm sorry..."

"Get out." Childe pointed at the door. Nodding, Lumine got up and trudged to the door, head hanging in shame. Alone once more, Childe took out his phone only to find that he was unreachable. Through calling, through texting, nothing. This was how it was for the next few days. Everything wasn't fine. This was disturbing to another level. One day in class, Albedo, who was near him, received a phone call, followed by him screaming that he needed to leave instantly. The teacher, obviously confused, said that he could go if the rest of the class could follow. He agreed but just and they followed him to the dorms.

"A-Li, this isn't funny, please, wake up! A-Li, A-LI! MORAX! REX LAPIS! LAPIS DEI! ZHONGLI DEI! ZHONGLI! GEGE! ZHONGLI, PLEASE! WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" Noelle was screaming from their dorm's open door. Yun Jin and Gorou were fumbling with their phones and Itto was trying to revive the brunette. The sight before him was heart wrenching. Zhongli laid there, as limp as a ragdoll, pale skin almost ghostly white, blood oozing down the side of his mouth.

"ZHONGLI!" Childe grabbed the brunette in his arms, sobbing like crazy. "SOMEONE, ANYONE CALL 911!"

Words: 958