Chapter 4: Maybe It's Meant To Be

After I turned 16, things took a downwards turn. The stress started to eat me bit by bit. At night I stayed awake making small speeches, pondering over questions, trying to make words that flowed in a way that would calm and reassure people. During the day, I was talking to people. It was either the public, reporters, and on off days, the council.

Every so often dad would ask me if I was okay. I wasn't sure what to say anymore.

"I signed up for this." I was stubborn. Maybe too stubborn.

"My grandfather, Avatar Aang and Zuko wanted this city to be a safe haven for both non benders and benders." I stood on the podium, watching the pocket watch that Beifong threw at me. "With the Equalist movement rising, it is only a matter of time before we are all divided, against each other. I don't want that to happen. So I'm urging you all. Not just non benders, but benders too, let's try to set aside our differences and see each other as equals."

I cleared my throat, "That's all from me. Are there any more lingering questions? I'll take one more."

One reporter raised their hand.

"Miss Yuki," he said, "We've covered this before, but, there continue to be reports about a certain individual roaming the streets of Republic City. As you can recall, the Blue Bandit. What is the council going to do about this man?"

"I'm sorry?" I gripped the podium, leaning forward. "I'm not entirely sure what you are expecting the council to do."

"The Blue Bandit." The reporter repeated, "There have been reported sightings of him showing up at scenes of robberies, home break-ins, hit and runs... Most recently he defended a family of earthbenders from what seemed to be radical Equalist followers. Isn't he disturbing this so called peace you wish to occur between nonbenders and benders? A one-sided hero, he seems to be."

Another reported shouted, "That's not entirely true! He's helped the shop keepers that were nonbenders from their shop being raided!"

"Alright, alright." I held up a hand. My heart was beating unusually fast, as I tried to keep a smile off my face.

The "Blue Bandit" was a mystery to everyone, everyone that is, expect me. Everyone had imagined it was a man, seeing that "he" was wearing a long black coat most of the time, black pants, black boots, even the gloves were black. On "his" face was a theatre mask, the Dark Water Spirit from the Fire Nation's beloved, Love Amongst the Dragons. He was a firebender, with flames of blue. Hence the name, Blue Bandit.

"We are keeping tabs on the situation but... the Blue Bandit, has not done anything that warrants an investigation." I said, "But, If things start to get out of hand, we'll have the police become more involved. As of right now, the attackers have been detained, and the victims are safe. The identity and motivations of the Blue Bandit are not our focus at the moment. That's all I can say on the matter." I looked around, watching the two squabbling reporters sit down. "Is that all?"

It was.

I bowed, stepping away from the podium, hearing the pathetic trickle of applause.

Tarrlok was waiting for me at the foot of the steps with wide arms.

"Really Yuki, you were brilliant out there." Tarrlok attempted to hug me, but I stepped out of his reach. He recovered gracefully, adjusting his coat "Ahem, I couldn't be more thankful-"

"You don't need to keep repeating yourself, Tarrlok." I said without so much of a glance at him.

"Right." Tarrlok said, with a smile that didn't reach his eyes. "Of course."