Chapter 45: Moving Forward

Desna did not imagine the day panning out as it did.

A bison and a dragon reported nearing the portals. He rushed over, knowing who a part of that group would be. But when he arrived at the encampment that surrounded the portals, Desna was crushed by the sight.

Yuki, limp in Tenzin's arms. Bandages and blood. He couldn't stop himself from rushing over.

"What happened?" he demanded to the group. Everyone looked exhausted. Kira stepped forward with Zuko with a serious expression on her face.

"Chief Desna," Zuko started, "I understand that you're worried but we need to get Yuki as well as Korra to Katara so they can get healed."

"We have residency for Yuki here," Desna said, "It is fine for Katara to come here instead-"

"I understand your concern," Zuko said, still gentle, "But her family remains in the South. We want her to be with them." Kira reached out and patted Desna's arm. "You are welcome to join us," Zuko added, "I know she is important to you."

Desna watched as the group went through the portals, heading to the South pole. He felt frozen for a moment, unsure what to do. He wanted her safe and she had run off to help, only returning as a limp vessel of a human-

Desna snapped himself out of his thoughts. He turned to a guard, "Please tell my sister I will be in the South." before walking into the portal.

~~~

The airbender siblings sat at the side of Yuki's bed. Their mom and dad were speaking to Gran Gran, while she patched their dad up. Everyone else was in a different room, waiting for the same treatment.

Meelo peered at his sister's sleeping face. He was relieved that most of the injuries had faded away, but the cuts on her neck bothered him. He buried his face in Jinora's arms, not wanting to cry.

Jinora gently patted his back, keeping her eyes on her sister. Ikki was leaning against Jinora, not saying much as she reached out to hold Yuki's hand.

"She'll be okay, right?" she asked Jinora.

"Gran Gran is going to heal her," Jinora said, "And then she'll just need some time to recover."

"And then she'll wake up?" Meelo asked, peering up from Jinora's arms.

She kissed Meelo on the head, hugging him tightly, "Yea," Jinora said, fighting back tears, "Of course."

Katara entered the room.

"Gran Gran!" she let Meelo embrace her, scattering kisses on her grandchildren.

"I-is Yuki-?"

"She'll be alright sweetie," Katara said, gently ushering the children out of the room. Pema and Kya trailed in behind Katara, as well as Kira. "We're going to need to fix her up now, can you give us some privacy?"

Meelo nodded, wanting to be as cooperative as possible. He took Ikki's hand, pulling her along. Pema grasped Jinora's shoulders, pulling her in for a hug.

"I'll keep them company," said Jinora, already aware of what her mother needed. She took Rohan from Pema's arms, giving her mother a smile. Pema nodded, pressing a kiss to Jinora's forehead before closing the door.