Chapter 44: Past the Breaking Point

!!! Content Warning: Physical torture !!!

Yuki woke up in a world of pain. Her legs throbbed, arms aching from the height they were chained. She didn't want to open her eyes. Begging to break through the invisible wall that prevented her from pushing past through the Spirit World. She couldn't hear Yume, just chains clanking, her shaking breath, the echo of her prison. It wouldn't matter if she opened her eyes anyway, they had blindfolded her. A precaution, most likely, in case she set fire to their faces again.

Yuki took in another breath. The effort hurt her chest. There must have been a broken rib or two. She tried shifting her legs, biting her lip in pain. Spirits, her lip was busted. The two bullets had done their damage, Yuki could barely feel her feet through the pain. Maybe, she wouldn't be able to walk after this, maybe this was it.

Zaheer had managed to get himself some dragonstone. Yuki wasn't sure how, but she was chained in it. Her head felt hot and heavy from fever, sickness entering her just as much as the injuries that littered her body. She tried not to shake, knowing that her surroundings were completely unknown to her. Maybe there was someone there, watching her pathetic self wither.

"Yume," Yuki whispered. Her throat felt dry, the only moisture being the blood on her lips.

"Who's name is that?"

Yuki froze. The voice. That calm tone that would carry over even the strongest of winds. It sickened her. Yuki remained silent. Footsteps approached, a rustle of clothing, an inhale.

"Tell me your name."

Yuki still remained silent still.

"How are you related to the Avatar?"

Yuki heard a few more footsteps enter the room.

"She's not going to talk." P'Li's voice was rougher.

"We could make her," Ming-Hua sounded excited at her own suggestion.

"What do we need from her anyway?" Ghazan asked.

Yuki felt hands reach around her, loosening the blindfold.

"Zaheer! What if she blasts us!"

"She can't," Zaheer said, pulling the blindfold off, "She's all out of fire."

Yuki slowly blinked. The room's light wasn't bright. They were in some sort of cave. The natural light coming in from a funnel in the ceiling, very high up. But the new sights caused her head to spin. She wearily turned her head to the group. Ming-Hua already had an eye shard aimed for her eyes. Yuki only stared at the bladed water, almost baiting it to take her out.

"I'm going to need you to answer me," Zaheer said in the same calm tone, "Tell me your name."

"Surely you would've found out from my family," Yuki rasped.

"Your family?"

"The airbenders that you're going to wipe out," Yuki said, "My family."

"Adopted?"

"No," Yuki grimaced, "Just got lucky with the dragon."

"Poor kid," Zaheer said, "I'm sure you felt very neglected."

Yuki snorted, "Never was."

"Outcasts always feel some form of neglect."

"What are you trying to say?"