Chapter 40: A Brush of Truth

Yuki stared at the old woman in alarm.

"What are you talking about?!" She shouted, stepping back, "Who are you?"

"Tsk." The old woman folded her arms, almost in a childish way, "No use trying to tell you."

"I would reconsider!" Yuki protested, "You can't come here and yell at me like that!"

The old woman scowled deeper, "I'm looking for Kira."

Yuki relaxed a little, stepping forward, "Kira?"

"Yes, did you not hear me the first time?"

"Yes, it's just weird for you to ask," Yuki said, leveling her own glare at the old woman, "Why would you know to ask me?"

"Well, you're the same thing as her, aren't you?"

Yuki stared at the old woman. The voice was familiar, maybe a little louder this time but...

"You're from that day," Yuki said, "You visited me in the spirit world too, that time when Amon was wreaking havoc in Republic City, when I thought I lost my family."

"Sure," the old woman replied, "Like I would know when I first met you. Time works differently here."

"Then, why are you looking for Kira?"

"She hasn't visited."

"She visits you?"

The old woman scoffed, "Well, she is the only human that somehow tolerates me after so long, even after I tried to kill her."

Yuki started putting the pieces together. Golden eyes, sharp tongue and nails, sour attitude, and the attempt to kill Kira. The history was all there.

"Dragons," Yuki murmured, taking a step back, "You're Azula."

Azula stared at her. She was older, that was obvious with the whitened hair and wrinkled face, but the prior beauty, the painting Yuki once passed by in the palace, it was there.

"What of it?" Azula asked, "That doesn't matter here. I'm asking you if you know where Kira is."

"She's not going to visit anytime soon," Yuki said, "She's hurt."

"Hurt?" An expression between amusement and concern crossed Azula's face.

"Yea," Yuki decided it was safe enough to settle back down against the tree, "There's a terrorist group, they shot her down with a metal bullet made of Dragonstone."

A loud cackle echoed through the area. Yuki looked up in alarm, seeing Azula shake with laughter.

"Is that funny?" Yuki asked, frowning.

"Oh, it's just interesting!" Azula said, "Years and years, the only time she was near death was because of me. Now there's another one, who almost got her."

"She'll live." Yuki grumbled.

Azula quieted her laughter, leaving a small smile on her face, "Oh I have no doubt," she said, "She's the most powerful opponent I've fought. Even after our battle, she only got stronger." There was a reminiscent look on Azula's face, almost admiration.