Chapter 59: Lovers Unite

Mari wasn't a stranger to uncomfortable situations. Having lived in a chaotic 6-sibling household with two different moms throughout her life, Mari knew when familial situations were a little tense. Nonetheless, being in-between the Beifong's long (and perhaps well-known) family drama was nothing sort of a little stressful. It definitely didn't help that Bolin was doing everything he could to please some of the roughest personalities that Mari had encountered so far (and she had met a few). The poor guy was switching between delusional optimism of "Team Beifong!" to "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" and Mari wasn't sure if it was best to help him or not.

But she was going to persevere. She had to see her Huan, after all.

The group had made it to the outskirts of Zaofu, where they were supposed to save the rest of Opal's family.

"Alright, let's do this!" Bolin pumped his fist in the air, "Saving the Beifongs and saving our love, because I vow to repair the rift that has grown betwixt us and make us whole again!"

Beifong brushed passed him roughly, "You. Zip it. Now. I had enough of your babble on the way in."

Bolin shrunk a little, murmuring a tiny, "Yes ma'am."

Mari held back a roll of her eyes, assessing her surroundings. She had visited Zaofu once on the back of a dragon, so it was nice to get up close and personal with the actual scenery. She peered down to where the city was, heartbroken to see Zaofu invaded.

"Kuvira tore down all the domes," Opal noted, "Why would she do that?"

Beifong pulled out a spyglass, peering downwards. "She's got a whole battalion of troops stationed there. There's no way we'll be able to spot anything useful from here. We'll have to go in for a closer look."

"Don't bother," said a voice. Everyone jumped, turning to see an old woman approach. Mari's eyes widened as she stopped in front of them, "All the prisoners have been moved."

"Oh... Hey chief," came Beifong's surprised voice.

"Hey chief," said Toph Beifong.

Mari bit the inside of her cheek, feeling a burst of excitement run through her. Bolin was not faring any better, a high pitched squeak coming from his throat.

Opal rushed to Toph, "Grandma Toph!"

Toph accepted the hug, "You were only up to my waist the last time we were together," she chuckled.

"Oh man!" Bolin couldn't hide his excitement any longer, "Ohhh, I can't. This can't be happening!" he fanned at his face.

"Cool it man," Mari muttered, trying to keep the grin off her own face, "You're supposed to win them over, not scare them off!"

"What's going on?" Toph approached them both. She nodded at Bolin, "Does he have to pee or something?"

"No, well, now maybe!" Bolin said to Toph, "You're my hero! My name is Bolin. I'm dating your granddaughter, I mean, kind of. I may have screwed that up, but that's why I'm here and you're my hero! Oh, I said that. Can I have a hug too?"

"What's up with him?" Toph asked her own daughter, "And who's the other girl?"

"He's an actor," Beifong gestured to Bolin, "And she's a romantic."

Mari waved sheepishly while Beifong continued speaking.

"So you already checked the city for Su? How did you know she was captured?"