Chapter 55: Coronation Blues

174 AG, Summer

Yuki stood in the crowd next to Ling, watching as President Raiko made a speech. Behind the man was a newly built terminal, the one to replace the old central terminal.

"And of course, my biggest thanks goes to Asami Sato and Future Industries. She brought our old central terminal into the modern era." He gave a nod to Asami who was standing next to him.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the world is entering a new age of peace and prosperity. Soon, Prince Wu will take his rightful place on the Earth Kingdom throne." Wu waved to the crowd, striking what he deemed to be a photogenic pose to a reporter.

Raiko continued, "And thanks to our updated rail system, Republic City and the Earth Kingdom will be united like never before!" The crowd gave its applause as the ribbon was cut to open the new station. Yuki gave weak applause, feeling a little sleepy in the crowd.

"Remind me why you dragged me along?"

Yuki glanced at Ling, "I didn't ask you to come. I only told you I was going."

Ling sniffed, "I don't remember that."

"Oh can it." Mari slung an arm around Yuki, "I'm glad we came. Now I can see all the hot people Yuki has befriended."

"What are you talking about?"

"Are you kidding me? Asami Sato? Prince Wu's bodyguard: that police guy-"

"Mako?"

"Yes, your boyfriend-

"He is not my boyfriend."

"Well he could be if you just talked to him more."

"He's a busy guy." Yuki sighed, "Besides Mari, you met him like twice. How do you jump to these conclusions?"

Mari flipped her hair dramatically, "He's perfect for you, I know it."

Yuki pinned her friend down with just half a glare before turning back to the dispersing crowd, "It's complicated."

"Oh?" Mari raised an eyebrow, "That was a different reaction."

"Are you disappointed?"

"No, I'm intrigued. Now I know that I tease a lot, but every time you talk to me about him, he seems more than just your best friend."

Yuki slowly shook her head, making a step towards Asami, already conversing with Mako, "You're being ridiculous. Now stay here, I'll be right back."

Mari and Ling watched as Yuki ran to hug Asami.

"I always wondered how I got to meet so many important people at once," Mari muttered.

"I'd hardly call Prince Wu someone important."

Mari sighed, a little exasperated, "Monkey feathers, I get it, you like him." she ducked Ling's expertly aimed punch with a delightful cackle.

"Yuki!" Asami hugged her friend tightly, "So nice to see you."

"And you too." Yuki gestured at the huge complex behind them, "Congrats on the finished terminal!"

Asami beamed, "It's been a lot of hard work, but I'm glad it's done."

"So what's next for you?"