Chapter 37: Yuto

"They're at the Earth Queen's Temple?"

Jinora nodded, "I managed to find Kai. He's okay! I did a search around where he was hiding, and it looks like it's right underneath her palace."

"I can't believe Miss Queeny Smug Face had them right under our noses the whole time!" Korra said furiously. The group returned back home, disgruntled at the news.

"All right." Bumi declared, undeterred by the news, "We go in under the cover of darkness: two small insertion teams and a third on the outside. Then all we'll need us twelve tons of boating jelly, a medium-sized bulldozer and... does anyone have a badgermole that knows Morse code?"

Tenzin sighed, attempting to ignore his brother's usual antics. Before he could reply, a knock on the door was heard.

"Oh boy," Asami said, "Not the Queen again..."

"Everyone, act natural," Korra said, heading towards the door with Tenzin. Tenzin opened the door, taking a step back in surprise.

"Lin? What are you doing here?"

Beifong promptly walked in, ignoring Tenzin's question.

"We need to get Korra out of here immediately," she said, "Her life's in danger."

"What?" Korra asked, "What's going on?"

"I just got word from Lord Zuko and Tonraq." Beifong started

"Why is Lord Zuko with my dad?" Korra demanded.

Beifong ignored Korra, turning to Tenzin, "Zaheer and the others have escaped."

Tenzin stiffened, "How is that possible?"

"Because Zaheer is an airbender." Beifong said simply. A tense silence fell over the group. Tenzin's face fell, reaching for the back of a chair to steady himself. Yuki stood up from her seat, gripping the armchair.

"You can't be serious," she said to Beifong.

Korra jumped in, still not satisfied, "All right, hold on! Will you quit ignoring me and tell me what's going on? Who's Zaheer? Why is my life in danger?"

Tenzin and Beifong exchanged looks.

Beifong spoke, "Shortly after we found out you were the Avatar, Zaheer and three others attempted to kidnap you. Luckily your father, Lady Kira, Lord Zuko, Chief Sokka and I were there to stop them. We apprehended the criminals and locked them away in prisons designed to impair their abilities." Beifong said.

"So this is why you and my dad sheltered me away." Korra said.

Tenzin nodded, "It was for your own safety."

"Why were they trying to kidnap Korra?" Mako asked.

"We spent thirteen years interrogating them, but they never broke." Beifong said, "To this day, no one knows what their motive was," she turned to Korra. "Now we need to get you back to Republic City, where I can protect you."

"Wait," Yuki said, "Just Zaheer that's escaped?"

Beifong hesitated before shaking her head, "It's all four."

"Who was the last to escape?"

"The firebender from the North."

Yuki tensed, "I-Is everyone okay there? The chieftains, did they know about it?"